My new build, finally finished

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Well, a couple of months ago actually but I finally have a picture.

DSC_2169.jpg

You simply wouldn't believe that money and heartache that I've poured into this thing.......

Bloody wow! That's a mighty fine bike you have there Chris. What bar/ stem/ post you running?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks guys :biggrin:

Stem and bars are standard Easton gear, thanfully not the recall affected stuff though!
The post is an Empire NC-17

gaz said:
was it worth it?

Yes and No.
The main aim was to build up a cheap bike and learn a lot about DIYing n the process.
To that end, it was successfull as I did learn a fair bit although there were more than a few jobs where I ended up with my tail between my legs at the LBS because I couldn't complete something.
Cost wise, No, it wasn't worth it. It cost me about fourty squillion pounds to complete (rough guesstimate, I haven't totaled it all and don't intend to :tongue:) but I could've got far better off fleabay for what I've spent.

02GF74

Über Member
Panter said:
Thanks guys :smile:

No, it wasn't worth it. It cost me about fourty squillion pounds to complete (rough guesstimate, I haven't totaled it all and don't intend to :tongue:) but I could've got far better off fleabay for what I've spent.

yep. par or the course.

what frame is it?

looks fine BTW.

02GF74

Über Member
Panter said:
Thanks guys :smile:

No, it wasn't worth it. It cost me about fourty squillion pounds to complete (rough guesstimate, I haven't totaled it all and don't intend to :tongue:) but I could've got far better off fleabay for what I've spent.

yep. par or the course.

what frame is it?

looks fine BTW.

spence

Über Member
Frame's a Spech Enduro circa 2004. They used that ano colour for the S-Works so should have had a "Brain" but the seat stays is wrong/replaced.

Had one a few years back and was a great bike. Bearings are a little supseptable to grit etc. so keep a check on them. You can/could get a little gard to protect the shock.

spence

Über Member
Frame's a Spech Enduro circa 2004. They used that ano colour for the S-Works so should have had a "Brain" but the seat stays is wrong/replaced.

Had one a few years back and was a great bike. Bearings are a little supseptable to grit etc. so keep a check on them. You can/could get a little gard to protect the shock.

Stunning looking bike

I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labour

Simon

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks all :blush:

Spence, spot-on with the frame, thanks for the bearings tip I shall certainly keep an eye on them.

The rear shock normally wears a Lizrd skin actually. I know they are reputed to cause problems, but I'm going to wash it after every ride.
Sounds a lot of hassle I know but this bike won't actually see a lot of mileage as I live in the SE and my HT is the main bike.

spence

Über Member
Chris,
One thing looking at your picture, make sure there is enough seatpost in the tube. Ideally have a small amount below the tube (but not enough to contact the shock), ie use all the seat tube to support the post. A friend didn't and it snapped.

DSCN0394.sized.jpg

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
:smile:

Thanks for that, thats a scary picture!

The seat post does extend to the bottom of the tube on mine.
I bought a 400mm post which was too long so I cut it down and, being a bit of a tart, I've cut it to the angle of the bottom of the tube which is why it doesn't show.... :blush:

That picture does serve as a very visual warning of the consequences if you get it wrong :smile:

EDIT: Was he Ok? (the friend, not the bike)

02GF74

Über Member
the seat tube welded on to one side is always going to be vulnerable to snapping.

I've had 2 posts snap on me - the last time I was climbing up a hill, then next thing I am on the ground behind the bike. the jagged end of post scraped my inner thigh but it could have been a lost worse - there is a big artery somewhere round there.

incidentally, that is same post design as on proflex - they have a little bump inside the seat tube to prevent andy chance of the post slipping down and into the shock.

I guess drilling a small hoke and fitting a bolt would serve the same purpose.

Top Bottom