New bike ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I've been mulling the idea of replacing my venerable hardtail for a while now. It's a great bike, has done me well as my go anywhere, do anything, year-round MTB hack but it is getting a bit long in the tooth (relatively) and N+1. It's a 2012 Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 - carbon hardtail 29er with 100mm fork - the geometry is quite old-fashioned with a relatively upright head angle, long-ish stem, narrow-ish 'bars and a short wheelbase, plus it has QR non-boost hubs which is starting to limit wheel replacement options.

An email arrived today from PlanetX - you may have received it yourself: "ex-demonstrator bikes for sale". Idly thumbing through the email I spot a bike that ticks a lot of boxes: hardtail 29er, 100mm fork, medium size..... titanium! I've had a titanium itch for a while so a quick negotiation with the wife and the order is placed. Price looks good compared to the new version, and from the pictures it appears to have one or two upgrades fitted too. A scrape on the crank arm I can live with.

Assuming it arrives as promised then that will complete the frame material set for me - carbon, steel, aluminium and titanium (putting aside various grades of each). Update to follow...

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Well, that was quick!
6F0B619D-D17A-4129-843B-70DDF5FB71D6.jpeg

FAD976E6-CD6F-4503-B566-13DAA1CE798C.jpeg

1F8BC169-A2EA-4534-ADDB-290A0E454535.jpeg

1B6A23CF-3798-4C72-9983-0D8FE5DC0063.jpeg

Titus El Viajero.

The photo I had taken for a scrape on the sales page turns out to be a sticky residue that will come off. It looks unridden and came with the lifetime frame warranty for me to register. And it does indeed have the optional dropper post fitted, so the price I paid vs the new price is a bargain.

I’ve not had chance to fit pedals and ride it yet but sitting on it is a nice place to be and it’s a lovely frame with SRAM GX groupset. Wheels are a bit cheap but actually the same type as I have on my current hardtail and being thru-axle means I may have the option to swap and change with my full-sus. I’ll be ditching the tubes and setting up tubeless, maybe even taking the tyres off of my hardtail.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
I don’t believe this bike has ever been ridden. However I have found a scratch on the fork yoke, presumably from assembly and presumably why it is being sold off for cheap. For an £800 discount I can live with a scratch that is largely hidden under the gear cable anyway.

Pedals fitted, all bolts torqued, fork pressurised and a brief spin around the block reveals all is good! Can’t wait to show it the local tracks.

OP
OP
figbat

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is it dirty now?
Wednesday night…
C33D6922-593B-4CAE-88FE-A0E5DFE15A07.jpeg

Top Bottom