my new commute, light recommendations pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bonj2

hey! i've just had a better idea.... I might make one.
i had the idea of going for night-time mtb trekking rides last year but quickly went off the idea when i got into 'real' MTBing, i bought some kit to build a light out of high power leds but never got round to finishing it. I might revive that project...
I thought the expense on batteries might be throwing good money after bad if it doesn't work. But, 12V would be perfect, so i could use my spare van battery to test what i've got before mounting it into a case. if it doesn't, then they sell ready-put-together kits on led-tech.de for only 45 euros. All i then need is a power supply, a metal tube, a bit of putty to hold the led unit in the tube and some sealant to waterproof the lens end...
can anybody see any problems with that plan? :biggrin: !

P.H

Über Member
bonj said:
that looks nice, have you got one or any experience of using one? and i might just be able to stretch to the cost of it.
Any figures, e.g. wattage, battery weight?

I’ve had the original MiNewt for around a year. Been very impressed with both the light and the service. One of my regular riding companions has the Dinotte 5w, which looks brighter though the coverage is narrower and less even. I also prefer the MiNewt fitting, it uses the same type of rubber band, except the light can be adjusted sideways. I haven’t seen the new MiNewt or Dinotte to compare.
Nightrider put all the electrics in the power pack rather than the light head. They emailed me when the new version came out offering a new light head for $49 (£30) I’m tempted but still happy with the original. The UK importer has also offered to replace the cells in the power pack when they need it for a reasonable fee (All Li-Ion cells degrade with age)
Weight, runtime and other spec – I’ve found my light lives up to all the manufacturers claims;
http://www.niterider.com/prod_minewtx2.shtml#
There’s also a few detailed reviews to google for.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

bianco said:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=277813

The second to last post sums it up the best.

hmmm... the rechargeable CR123's off ebay are only 1000mAh IIRC, and a high power LED will use about an amp, so it makes sense that it will only last an hour.
If i manage to get my home-brewed one working then it will need about 12 volts, so 10 AAs. You can get them in 2800mAh, so it should last over 2 hours?

I know this sounds expensive, but I can get the VAT back on bike commuting equipment and set the rest against tax. I had a Cateye Stadium halide 20 watt light which was superb. Unfortunately, owing to my not clipping it in correctly, it fell off while riding with predictable results.

I've replaced it with a Hope 10 watt set up which I got discounted in March (the best time to buy lights) which has the advantage that it can be helmet mounted. I've just been setting it up and the results are impressive so far.

Incidentally, bonj mention punctures. I've just been replacing the Bontrager Racelite tyres on my bike. In about 4,000 miles, I've only had one puncture, and that was an evil metal shaving which would have gone through virtually anything. The tyres are hard work to get on and off the wheels, but having cut through the worn rear type, I'm really impressed at the toughness of them.

frog

I'm not going to give criteria or budget etc as i'd rather hear what other people have got themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog
Solidlight 1203D with a Schmidt SON dynohub

I appreciate your efforts but sensible suggestions only please

You asked, you got :biggrin:

ratty2k

Dinotte are a good buy, I haver one on my commuting bike and its more than bright enough. Brant did have some on offer for £99 as well. No batteries included, but you can get 2800mah AA's and a charger for £15-20 off ebay.
I find it most useful that I can nip in virtually any corner shop or garage and buy some batteries that'll get you home if the rechargeable ones do go flat on you.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

well, an update: I have just finished soldering the K2s and the buckpuck for them onto their little board and guess what... when I connected them to my spare van battery ... THEY WORK! :ohmy: :biggrin: :biggrin:
and they are three bright little bitches
it is motivation enough for me to order a lens for them... just hope i have done them with enough millimetre-precision for it to fit on! i'm sure it will though...
get in... i'm quite impressed with myself now

Chigley

Where are you planning on fitting these lights BTW?

Handlebar wise, helmet ways or both?

This might make it all a little easier to define the light that you shine upon the world in the future

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chigley said:
Where are you planning on fitting these lights BTW?

Handlebar wise, helmet ways or both?

This might make it all a little easier to define the light that you shine upon the world in the future

I don't know. ideally handlebars, but if the beam is too narrow for the handlebars then i'll have it on helmet.

Chigley

bonj said:
I don't know. ideally handlebars, but if the beam is too narrow for the handlebars then i'll have it on helmet.

Are you likely to enter an establishment, having forgot to take the helmet off with the lights still on, where it could cause embarrassment, a vampire's retirement home for example?

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Chigley said:
Are you likely to enter an establishment, having forgot to take the helmet off with the lights still on, where it could cause embarrassment, a vampire's retirement home for example?

If the battery pack will be strapped to my bike then it won't be an issue unless I cycle straight in. If it's in my bag however it could be an issue, so I'll have to remember in that situation. Thanks for reminding me.

Top Bottom