My new N+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Very nice.

Did you buy this instead of fixing the old one?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Very nice.

Did you buy this instead of fixing the old one?

Thank you :smile: Yes, this was a replacement. The old one had got about 13,000 miles on the groupset. It had had a few chains and cassettes in that time, but the last change was too long ago so pretty much everything was worn out.
I could have replaced everything for about half the cost of changing bikes, but I already have another road bike and a crosser seemed to be ideal for my commute (I like to extend the ride home and go along the sea wall and down some unmade roads)
I've still got the old bike, the plan is to build it up as a single speed, or maybe even a fixed wheel over the Summer

we'll have to arrange an overnighter this summer.

You still got the mtb?

Sounds good! Yup, still got both of those. The hardtail was relegated to commuting duties, but that needs a bit of work now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted out over the next couple of weeks and then I can swap the M+ tyres for some suitable trail tyres and get back to using it for what it was made for.
The full susser hasn't been used for Months and months, just don't ever seem to get the time to go out :sad:

dan_bo

Thank you :smile: Yes, this was a replacement. The old one had got about 13,000 miles on the groupset. It had had a few chains and cassettes in that time, but the last change was too long ago so pretty much everything was worn out.
I could have replaced everything for about half the cost of changing bikes, but I already have another road bike and a crosser seemed to be ideal for my commute (I like to extend the ride home and go along the sea wall and down some unmade roads)
I've still got the old bike, the plan is to build it up as a single speed, or maybe even a fixed wheel over the Summer

Sounds good! Yup, still got both of those. The hardtail was relegated to commuting duties, but that needs a bit of work now. Hopefully I'll be able to get it sorted out over the next couple of weeks and then I can swap the M+ tyres for some suitable trail tyres and get back to using it for what it was made for.
The full susser hasn't been used for Months and months, just don't ever seem to get the time to go out :sad:

I broke my crosser the other week.
20150419_102209.jpg

It appears that lightweight racing tubesets and heavy aggressive riders don't mix, or at least become immiscible after a couple of years of racing + battering each other up and down the pennine bridleway.

It's only been a couple of weeks and I'm missing it's collie-like versatility, speed and eagerness. It currently looks like
20150428_152446.jpg

And is awaiting it's powdercoat. Can't wait.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I broke my crosser the other week.

You've certainly done a thorough job of breaking that! it's quite a sorry sight seeing a crack like that.
Lovely repair though, I'd be interested to see it when it's powder coated if you remember to post a picture?

I do feel a little bit bad that I'm using, what is essentially a dedicated bike for a very specific purpose just for commuting and bimbling, but as it's just the entry level model it doesn't seem quite as bad.

I'm missing it's collie-like versatility, speed and eagerness.

Although mine won't be in the same league as yours, I very much get the same sort of feeling from mine. It's fast, road-bike fast considering the chunky tyres. And it's quick off road too. It's not as quick as my hardtail because the ride is so much harsher (or more likely, I don't have the skill!) but it's impressed me a lot.
I really can't understand how it goes so well on tarmac, I guess it's because it's so stiff? but whatever the reason, I'm absolutely loving the CX bike.
I'll see what the future holds, but as it stands at the moment, I really wouldn't be surprised if I find myself upgrading for a more serious version in a couple of Years time.

I'm a little surprised they're not a lot more popular, but I guess if you never venture off road, then there's just no point but (so far) it's been perfect for me.

dan_bo

You've certainly done a thorough job of breaking that! it's quite a sorry sight seeing a crack like that.
Lovely repair though, I'd be interested to see it when it's powder coated if you remember to post a picture?

I do feel a little bit bad that I'm using, what is essentially a dedicated bike for a very specific purpose just for commuting and bimbling, but as it's just the entry level model it doesn't seem quite as bad.

Although mine won't be in the same league as yours, I very much get the same sort of feeling from mine. It's fast, road-bike fast considering the chunky tyres. And it's quick off road too. It's not as quick as my hardtail because the ride is so much harsher (or more likely, I don't have the skill!) but it's impressed me a lot.
I really can't understand how it goes so well on tarmac, I guess it's because it's so stiff? but whatever the reason, I'm absolutely loving the CX bike.
I'll see what the future holds, but as it stands at the moment, I really wouldn't be surprised if I find myself upgrading for a more serious version in a couple of Years time.

I'm a little surprised they're not a lot more popular, but I guess if you never venture off road, then there's just no point but (so far) it's been perfect for me.

Your money, your ride. doesn't matter.

Regarding the BB failure, I had noticed a slight flaw in the paint in that area for a while, figured it would be my paint (did it myself) rather than the lovingly hand-crafted filled braze.

Dropped from High Stile Lane down a heavily rutted RUPP and then started pedalling up Boat Lane and I thought I'd bent a pedal....nope!

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks @dan_bo , that looks absolutely superb!

Thanks @jnrmczip , I love the colour scheme on yours, looks really good.

I'm still loving the bike, I've fitted Koolstop mountain pads now which have really helped the braking. The indexing is getting a bit twitchy now as the cables are stretching, so I'll have a tweak this morning.

Top Bottom