My new (old) lamp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I was in Chertsey High Street the other day there and saw an Antique shop. Curious, I went in and found on a shelf at the back, an old lamp which, if cleaned up and given a bit of TLC, looked like it would be quite good.

Anyway, I couldn't just walk away, so I bought it with the intention of using it on the Humber.

I have never owned such a lamp before, so don't know much about it, but it is made by Miller and was described as being an Acetylene gas lamp.

I took some quick snaps of it for you all to see. Apologies for the poor quality, but it was on the iPad:

image.jpg

image.jpg

This image is utterly crap, I know, but it reads 'Miller' 'British Made' and there is a picture of a lighthouse in the middle

It also shows the slightly battered nature of it, it clearly has been well used!!:

image.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It all comes apart and the inside is covered in some sort of white residue. Ash?? Some sort of by product of the acetylene??

The silver coloured cup sits inside the outer brass one and is attached to the bottom:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
The head. There is a green piece of solid glass on both sides, but the one on this side is cracked:

image.jpg

It started to rain.....
image.jpg

image.jpg

And the top with the spout.... Pipe where presumably the flame would have come from. This fits into the bottom of the light head via the hole seen in the bottom of it in the first picture.

And yes, its a very very pish picture!:
image.jpg
image.jpg

sidevalve

Über Member
As you say seems to be the old acetalyne gas type. Not sure if it would have had a remote "gas generator" or all been included in the lamp. If so it would have needed a place to store water and the carbide. For more info try the old m/cycle press, websites as they used very similar lamps and carbide is still available today to the vintage boys. Would be nice to see it light.

Top Bottom