My new Photo website

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Melvil

postman said:
Love the Pentland Gate photo.

Cheers! I'm a wee bit proud of that one as it got into the Scotsman a while back.

The light was incredible on that day and we were just driving along a busy A-road south of Edinburgh when I kind of shouted 'Stop the Car!' and got this shot, narrowly avoiding the busy traffic around me ;).

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The beach at Kinross does it for me - I know it's all cheated with filters & software 'n that, but the colours are still just ravishing! I don't know whether I'm more impressed or put out that you can build something that good in 'a fortnight', but hats off to you. bastard.;)

OP
OP
M

Melvil

[quote name='swee'pea99']The beach at Kinross does it for me - I know it's all cheated with filters & software 'n that, but the colours are still just ravishing! I don't know whether I'm more impressed or put out that you can build something that good in 'a fortnight', but hats off to you. bastard.;)[/quote]

I would say thank Joomla (the open source CMS) more than me, though it did need tweaking quite a bit! Before joomla I did have a go at building a site using Kompozer (which is an open-source version of Dreamweaver) but the results were less than impressive!

The beach at kinross isn't that tweaked BTW - the sky was darkened a bit and the foreground lightened and saturated and that's it...really. The weather was good to me that day.

Radius

SHREDDER
Melvil said:
Not big on HDR, really. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I prefer LUCIS (a plug-in for Photoshop) if I want to do that sort of thing. It can have amazing results. The Forth Rail Bridge shot - you may laugh - hasn't had any photoshopping at all - the colours are because it was a very long exposure at sunset and I had to use Cokin filters to dampen out the light - the only one I had left was a graduated 'tobacco' coloured filter so that's why the sky is rather orange. Have to say that cokin filters - especially ND ones - are the business.
Interesting, didn't think many people used tobaccos nowadays, just added in photoshop. Also interesting that I picked it out as my fav :biggrin:
Not sure about Lucis, I like the effects it has when used properly, but some people go lucis-mad and leave halos and crazy contrast all over the place...same with most processing I guess :biggrin:
EDIT: Yes Cokin are great, although a bit on the pricey side sometimes, although you get what yer pay for

As for gear I have a Nikon SLR, a normal zoom, big zoom, and (my favourite) a wide angle lens which can make some nice landscape shots. Oh, got a canon compact, too.

Nice, I use a D300, so can indentify with your choice :smile:

Must say I had a 'D'oh!' moment last night on the way home, I saw a fox in a garden about six feet from where I stood. It was beautiful. And I didn't have any cameras :sad:

Yeah that's happened to me a few times, one of the reasons I got a phone with an average camera on it, even if just to attempt to make a record of what I saw :tongue:, not that I could ever capture anything properly well with the size of its sensor B)

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Radius said:
Interesting, didn't think many people used tobaccos nowadays, just added in photoshop.

Aye, exactly, you can do that, but I quite like filters as you keep all the fine detail in the image whereas Photoshop seems a bit destructive to image quality when doing those kind of things...

The D300 is reckoned to be an amazing camera so nice one. Out of interest what kind of images do you shoot?

Radius

SHREDDER
Melvil said:
Aye, exactly, you can do that, but I quite like filters as you keep all the fine detail in the image whereas Photoshop seems a bit destructive to image quality when doing those kind of things...
Yes I agree, you can get some 'orrible posterisation from trying to replicate filters in photoshop
The D300 is reckoned to be an amazing camera so nice one. Out of interest what kind of images do you shoot?

Thanks, it's pretty terrifying, especially given it's price (now, not what I paid for it :biggrin: ;) )
I mainly shoot nature / etc. but a bit of everything. I also do events and stuff for my school (plays, presentation evenings, etc. boring, but a good test for the gear as it's invariably awfully badly lit)

If you want to see, here's a random selection of 5 (of tonnes) of images I've taken, quite varied: (I wont steal the thread by posting the actual images

Cheers :biggrin:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Did you know that the "Unicorn Spire" is actually supposed to be a Narwhal's tusk ?

In reality it's used as a handy urinal by the alkies that hang about on the benches in the Kirkgate. Pity, as I got an interesting shot looking up the inside when it was first installed, which was then taken straight into the darkroom in the Community Centre and developed :smile:

It's on my Flickr page in the Leith & Edinburgh Architecture set

(Edit: since you've already commented on it, you've already seen it. D'oh !)

Top Bottom