My new toy - any identification help appreciated

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
Hey mikeymustard, nice find :hyper:, don't write the uniglide cassette off just yet, i run uniglide on my Raleigh Randonneur purely for the versatility. I bought a couple of NOS cassettes (easy to find, and cheap enough) stripped them down to individual sprockets and spacers, then build a cassette onto the hub depending on the terrain i'm going to ride.
One other thing to look out for, some shimano hubs have internal and external threads so they will accept Uniglide & Hyperglide Cassettes.
Check Velobase for details of which ones.
Here's how my Randonneur gearing looks at the min.

IMAG0923.jpg
IMAG0925.jpg

PS. Getting the old Uniglide Cassette off the hub will be a bugger, I took mine down to a LBS, they did it for a fiver.

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Hey mikeymustard, nice find :hyper:, don't write the uniglide cassette off just yet, i run uniglide on my Raleigh Randonneur purely for the versatility. I bought a couple of NOS cassettes (easy to find, and cheap enough) stripped them down to individual sprockets and spacers, then build a cassette onto the hub depending on the terrain i'm going to ride.
One other thing to look out for, some shimano hubs have internal and external threads so they will accept Uniglide & Hyperglide Cassettes.
Check Velobase for details of which ones.
Here's how my Randonneur gearing looks at the min.

View attachment 77818 View attachment 77819

PS. Getting the old Uniglide Cassette off the hub will be a bugger, I took mine down to a LBS, they did it for a fiver.

Thanks for the info davester. Looks like I've got a few options to play with then. Are the freehub bits interchangeable? Uniglide cassettes seem quite thin on the ground

Top Bottom