My new Website, need some follows and comments on the site

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi folks.. hope this shout out is okay.

https://tour-de-stuff.blogspot.com/

I've purchased the proper Tour-de-stuff.com domain name and it redirects to the above. I did think about moving it to paid hosting (or I blelive blogger can use a custom domain and not just mask it which I don't want to do) but I've had some business cards printed with the custom domain name and a QR code set for the blogspot address so I need this still to work so leaving it alone at the moment.

Anyway, I've managed to get a press pass for the cycle show to hopefully make a few connections etc but it would help if the site had some followers and some comments on the posts I've put on already.

So if any of you could follow it (even just for a month or 2) and leave some (hopefully positive) comments that would be great. I'm happy to receive constructive criticism but could you post it on this thread so I could look at addressing it.

whilst I'm hoping the blog will look professional... it is just me on my own writing it when I can grab a few minutes peace and quiet..

Edit: Oops only just put the email follow button.... schoolboy error! should be able to follow now

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Well I had a look, scrolled down a bit till I got to the cycling glasses with the prescription inserts and your review makes them sound just what I'm looking for so I think I'll have a punt. Thanks for that.

Good morning,

I know how hard it is to create a web site with new and original content, I have a couple of sites one of which is on share trading for beginners http://www.beginnerssharedealing.co.uk

So I wish you well with your project, haven't you posted a linked to it before on this site and did it gain any readers?

However I do see a problem, getting people to regularly visit any site is asking a lot of their time and there is no real content on your site at the moment.

It mostly reads like you have cut and pasted the manufactures advertising brochure, the articles are not really providing original information or an opinion.

I would also be tempted to lose the dates on the articles as they suggest a project started and then abandoned.

I am sorry but I think that you are going to have to commit a lot more time to the site, so when the reader goes there for the first time he doesn't think he has wasted his time and wants to come back for more.

Emailing articles can be a good way of getting your content out to people without needing them to come to your site but are you set up to send the articles in a way that reads well on an iPhone 5, a PC and an iPad?

Sorry to be a bit negative. :-)

Bye

Ian

OP
OP
simon the viking
Well I had a look, scrolled down a bit till I got to the cycling glasses with the prescription inserts and your review makes them sound just what I'm looking for so I think I'll have a punt. Thanks for that.

That review was done a while back and was reposted on the new site hopefully they are still available. Ive gone bact contact lenses so using them without the insert most of the time but they are a cracking buy

OP
OP
simon the viking
Good morning,

I know how hard it is to create a web site with new and original content, I have a couple of sites one of which is on share trading for beginners http://www.beginnerssharedealing.co.uk

So I wish you well with your project, haven't you posted a linked to it before on this site and did it gain any readers?

However I do see a problem, getting people to regularly visit any site is asking a lot of their time and there is no real content on your site at the moment.

It mostly reads like you have cut and pasted the manufactures advertising brochure, the articles are not really providing original information or an opinion.

I would also be tempted to lose the dates on the articles as they suggest a project started and then abandoned.

I am sorry but I think that you are going to have to commit a lot more time to the site, so when the reader goes there for the first time he doesn't think he has wasted his time and wants to come back for more.

Emailing articles can be a good way of getting your content out to people without needing them to come to your site but are you set up to send the articles in a way that reads well on an iPhone 5, a PC and an iPad?

Sorry to be a bit negative. :-)

Bye

Ian

Hi ian all input is good. Its still in its early days and i hope to commit a lot more time to it in the future. Hopefully the visit to cycle show will provide a lot of content to write.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've looked at the home page and there are several apostrophe errors and examples of what I call capitals disease - no consistent policy on their use.

This may not matter to some, but I would liken the errors to a shop with a dirty front window - uninviting.

As you've been advised, driving traffic to the site will not be easy.

You cannot afford to alienate any segment of the market.

OP
OP
simon the viking
I've looked at the home page and there are several apostrophe errors and examples of what I call capitals disease - no consistent policy on their use.

This may not matter to some, but I would liken the errors to a shop with a dirty front window - uninviting.

As you've been advised, driving traffic to the site will not be easy.

You cannot afford to alienate any segment of the market.
Cheers will have a look at those errors... proof reading argghh!

I have a twitter feed with a couple thousand followers on another project a tweet on that generates a bit of interest normally, hopefully it will get a begin to get a regular hit rate.

It is also helping improve my writing skills. On a slight tangent I have actually sold a non cycling based freelance article to Writing Magazine for which im actually going get some gards cash! Hopefully going out in October issue (published September)

There are already a lot of established sites that review / test products.
So what makes yours a better read, that is something you need
to address, or people will simply stick with the ones they already know.

Q and A or interviews with the pros are the way to go.

Articles on gear that was used by the latest tour winners and even losers
is always of interest, and the range is vast, no end of such gear to review.

I hope you do well

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm idling time away with a glass of red so I followed the link and had a read.

One of my personal "things" is the correct use of language. I feel this is very important if one wishes to be taken seriously. I hate to be critical but your site is riddled with poor spelling, punctuation and grammar to the extent I found it hard to read.

The layout of each review lacks consistency making the site a bit of a mishmash to look at.

If you want people to return or recommend I feel the site requires a lot of work. After one visit I wouldn't return.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Hi Simon .
What are you trying to do with the website ?
I tried for many years to develop one and it was good but never earnt a penny from it . All it did was cost money .
You mentioned you are getting paid for doing an article for a mag . I have done a few by taking pictures of my work and doing a write up on what i have done . £250 ( ten years ago ) a time for explaining what you are getting paid to do anyway is very easy money .
If you are enjoying trying to build up what ever it is you want to do then thats the main thing . I hope it works for you mate :okay:

Top Bottom