My next big challenge...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AncientWyvern

Hello all,

I have only really been into road cycling for a little while, since last summer really. I sold my car in November and now i commute to work on my 1970's work horse.

Just lately i have been bitten by the road cycling bug and I can't wait till i'm out on the road again.

I have done the London to Brighton ride before but on a mountain bike, the crank arm almost came off 30 mins from the start and ended up taking a total of 9 hours to complete! Well, last weekend i did my first 80 mile journey which really was a brilliant acheivement for me and i did this in just over 6 hours.

I have another ride for this bank holiday, another 80 mile ride and I wondered if anyone had any tips for a new'n like me!

I wont be doing it on my work horse, it'll be my Trek. Any tips are very much welcomed!

lukesdad

Make sure you eat and drink enough. Are you riding on your own ?

OP
OP
AncientWyvern

AncientWyvern

No, I'll be riding with a few other lads, good tip though! I ran out of water last time! I was totally suprised how much dehydration hit me in the last 15 - 20 miles... :wacko:

tordis

When you stop for a snack and a sip of water, make sure you don't stop for long - it's easier to get back on track after a 5-minute break than after a 25-minute one.
Oh, and if it's sunny, use sunscreen. Pretty obvious, but I forgot to do it last weekend when I did London to Brighton and ended up with sunburn and peeling skin.

OP
OP
AncientWyvern

AncientWyvern

My tyres are at 120 and has a smooth contact with the road but grip on the edges, the tip about getting back on the road after a short rest is handy, I think that I tend to rest too much sometimes.

How do you generally break up a long journey? I find that looking at the total mileage daunting, but aiming for towns makes it a lot more enjoyable, what do you do to break up long rides?

Also, I don't use cleats and have no computer and rely on google mostly, will cleats help me? I will get them eventually as I'm looking to follow in the footsteps of my old man by joining a club and start racing in time.

lukesdad

Cleats are a must if you want to start racing, The sooner you start to use them the better. As for stops on long rides maybe try 5 mins every hour.

Top Bottom