My old bike finally broke..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
After all these years, the Bottom Bracket on my old Single Speed Raleigh Town & Tesco bike blew up, trailing ball bearings along the bike path to the shops.. :sad:
Luckily I was only a mile and a bit from home so I turned round and walked it home.

You would think that it would have lasted more than 20 years, eh! :laugh:

Peril BB.jpg

Hopefully still worth repairing though. I'll take it apart over the next few days and see what damage has been done.
And as it's still the original one, I might even put a new chain on it :eek:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Reminds me of that recent thread where someone was told by their lbs that the death of the BB on their brand new £700 bike after 7 months was 'just wear & tear', along with a refusal to fix it under warranty, and a demand for something like £60 to fit a new one.

That's certainly not repairable. Just remove the old one & stick in a new sealed unit. A cheap Shimano shouldn't cost you much more than a tenner, then you'll be good for another decade! (Oh, the one thing to look out for is the axle length: measure the old one, get the new one the same.) (Oh, and remember that British BB's have a reverse thread on the drive side (the right, as you sit on the bike) - ie, you have to screw them 'on' to screw them off.)

After all these years, the Bottom Bracket on my old Single Speed Raleigh Town & Tesco bike blew up, trailing ball bearings along the bike path to the shops.. :sad:
Luckily I was only a mile and a bit from home so I turned round and walked it home.

View attachment 31868

Hopefully still worth repairing though. I'll take it apart over the next few days and see what damage has been done.

the original..?? :blink: aaaas 'I-am-using-the-same-chain-for-twenty-years' original?

Herbie

Veteran

View attachment 31868

R.I.P

Davidc

Guru
Can't you get that BB repaired under warranty? - after all those bikes were built to last!

Top Bottom