My old jack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Goofyrider

Regular
Hi everyone this Jack Taylor mtb was my Christmas present from my parents in 1988. Ive really struggled to fond another mountain bike by the taylors anywhere!! Does anyone know anything about these bikes ? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 952F4B50-4398-4B9E-A98A-C61EE648F4C6.jpeg
    952F4B50-4398-4B9E-A98A-C61EE648F4C6.jpeg
    223.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 197B14AB-7981-42F6-8302-92499915521E.jpeg
    197B14AB-7981-42F6-8302-92499915521E.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 29

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
They only ever built to order: road bikes, tourers, trikes, tandems. I suppose it can't be surprising that they made at least one MTB. Must have been towards the end of their active years.

Extremely relaxed geometry on that. It seems like a very big angle of slope on the seat tube and fork, making the overall length huge. Built for comfort rather than speed. What was it like to ride off-road?

OP
OP
Goofyrider

Goofyrider

Regular
They only ever built to order: road bikes, tourers, trikes, tandems. I suppose it can't be surprising that they made at least one MTB. Must have been towards the end of their active years.
Yes it was ordered i had reciept a few years ago after parents passed away it was about £575 i remember!!

OP
OP
Goofyrider

Goofyrider

Regular
Extremely relaxed geometry on that. It seems like a very big angle of slope on the seat tube and fork, making the overall length huge. Built for comfort rather than speed. What was it like to ride off-road?
From what i remember it was great but i was only 13 years old when i got it and mountain bikes were pretty new still in 1988!! Think i rode it for a year and been in garage ever since.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
That has got some seriously slack angles

Slack, yes, but not out of the ordinary for a bike of it's era. For comparison, here's a Raleigh Sabre dating from 1994, with a welded 18-23 Hi-tensile frame. The angles are 70 head/70 seat, which appears to be the standard geometry for most, if not all the welded 18-23 Raleigh MTB's from the 80's and 90's.

RALEIGH SABRE MTB.jpg

The Jack Taylor does have unusually long chainstays though, much like a Dawes Ranger which has a similarly long wheelbase.
I find the 70/70 geometry Raleigh frames to be a very good ride on both gravel and potholed tarmac. Nothing lively about them, but the design takes the sting out of poor roads, much like a slack 3-speed roadster frame does..

Last edited:

Rod_Saetan

Veteran
That is lovely! Never seen another either and I've been keeping my eye out ;-)

Should it become surplus to requirements and you need a new loving home for it feel free to get in touch.

Top Bottom