My old Peugeot..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
well apart from the last post being 2 years ago................:laugh:...congrats on the new Camargue

I have found 2 Peugeot recently
the first was almost perfect - all i did was re-grease all the bearing components
Bottom Bracket, Headset, hubs
new chain, bar-tape
and [personal choice] replaced the 42/52T crankset with a 36/50T crankset
new outer and inner cables
new tubes as tyres were ok

the second - a ''Premiere'' - will require a bit more ...........:ohmy:

but all you need to do, is think about which components will benefit from a relube or an outright replacement
whatever you do - if the paintwork is not 'too' bad and the decals are intact - DO NOT get a respray - it will no longer be original
my Premiere frame has a bit of surface rust - after 27 years who cares..!

good luck ...post some pics..!"............john

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Last night I decided against a shiney new bike and have ordered some new pedals,seat post, charge spoon (very kindly donated) and black tyres for the lilac pug. All of the components are shim rx100 and in very good order.

I'm going for a good ride on Saturday morning to chase the young'ns

nemov

haha, yes I noticed the date after posting!

Well - I've taken the Peugeot Camargue out for a spin and am pretty pleased - Mint condition for the age of the bike; especially the frame :smile: I plan on getting shot of the original Weissman components though - first will be the brakes which are next to useless! I have my eye on some Shimano 105's or SRAM items on ebay...which I am hoping will just fit? (are most brake calipers interchangeable?). I'll post a picture of the bike in its current state soon!

@kev I saw a Charge Spoon on ebay - very tempted to get one myself if the price is right! Is Shim 105 best or RX100? I'm unsure.. I was always into Mountain bikes before so used to Deore groupsets!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
RX 100 is now discontinued but you can still buy 105. They are probably much of a muchness quality/price wise. Don't get too hung up on Shimano price hierarchy it's more of a marketing tool than anything else, you'll be hard pressed to feel any real difference.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I didn't know what 'Carbolite' was, so had a look on the net and this was the best answer I came up with. Thought you may be interested.

"Carbolite" was the marketing term Peugeot used to identify their high carbon (the "Carbo-" in Carbolite), high tensile steel, It is 1010 or 1020 mild steel... nothing special at all. Super good material to build a bike frame with but it isn't lighter or stronger than mild steel by any means.

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..

nemov

Hey thanks for that. It turns out the Camargue has something called "Mangalloy HLE" as the frame material on the Peugeot Camargue; which I believe from a quick search is similar to Carbolite in that it is Peugeot's in house tubing, and it's good and strong but not exactly space age or light. Talking of the Camargue - I have spent 30 mins procrastinating - and now have some photos - as bought, and after taking off the "shopper accessories"!! :-
@john - thanks for the info on calipers amigo - saved me bidding on the wrong items!
IMG_20140530_113521856.jpg
IMG_20140530_113535955.jpg
IMG_20140530_120339821.jpg

Last edited:

nemov

Oh cool... well it's obviously good quality judging by the condition of the frame. I've bought some brake pads from Halfords now - should improve the stopping power seeing as the bike still had original Weissman pads on! Anyway, thanks a lot for all the advice chaps. I'll post another pic whenever I've made any significant changes!

Top Bottom