My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few snaps taken on my Sunday excursion to Glen Fruin... I only stopped to take the pics, not because I was knackered or anything! :-)

2013-05-26 14.10.07.jpg View attachment 2322 2013-05-26 14.56.10.jpg 2013-05-26 13.58.35.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-05-26 13.31.13.jpg
    2013-05-26 13.31.13.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 73

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
URL]

Yeah, sorry :sad: I noticed but I had to go out, try this:
IMG_20130516_131036_601.jpg

Is that the Avro Lancaster re-enacting the dambuster raid ? I only heard about it here in the States because they mentioned it before they played the Dambuster's March, by Eric Coates, on the radio.

Teuchter

Über Member
New to the whole mountain biking thing, I took my Diamondback up the Kilpatrick hills yesterday. The climb was something I'd never have contemplated on the 42 tooth smallest chainring on my road bike... now I see the point of a granny gear! Even then, I had to walk the steepest, final part of the climb :sad:

This is from the top of the climb, overlooking the Clyde with the Erskine Bridge, Renfrew and Glasgow in the distance.
8925550063_70597b427d_c.jpg

And this was taken crossing the Erskine Bridge on the way home. Not very scenic but I liked the way the orange SOS phone box matched my frame.
8926160110_50546f4c4f_c.jpg

On the way down the hills, a fast descent on gravel, I noticed a rattling from my front wheel. "It'll wait until I get home" I tell myself, putting it down to all the shoogling the bike had received over the rough tracks. Checking things over once home I found the torx bolts holding my front brake disc on were loose and it was the disc rattling! It's a secondhand bike and I've already found quite a few loose bolts (I thought the rear wheel bearings were shot when I first got it... it was an axle nut that was less than finger tight). I think these were about the only ones I hadn't checked.

Finnjävel

While riding this
P6060016.JPG

I got to see this
P6060021.JPG

Some rides have sucked worse.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
New to the whole mountain biking thing, I took my Diamondback up the Kilpatrick hills yesterday. The climb was something I'd never have contemplated on the 42 tooth smallest chainring on my road bike... now I see the point of a granny gear! Even then, I had to walk the steepest, final part of the climb :sad:

This is from the top of the climb, overlooking the Clyde with the Erskine Bridge, Renfrew and Glasgow in the distance.
8925550063_70597b427d_c.jpg

Is that the road up to Loch Humphrey?? I have always meant to do that!

Teuchter

Über Member
Is that the road up to Loch Humphrey?? I have always meant to do that!
Yes, it is.

Like you, it's one of those ride / walks I've always planned to do but never gotten around to. I see it every morning from Erskine when I'm out walking the dog along the Clyde. When I was out for a ride on Sunday with no particular destination in mind and on a bike suitable for that sort of thing, I just sort of found myself heading over the bridge in that direction.

I carried on past Loch Humphrey until the track got pretty soft and grassy, my jelly babies ran out and I remembered I'd told the wife I was only out for a 20 minute ride...
8926173274_ea35a77ce0_c.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, it is.

Like you, it's one of those ride / walks I've always planned to do but never gotten around to. I see it every morning from Erskine when I'm out walking the dog along the Clyde. When I was out for a ride on Sunday with no particular destination in mind and on a bike suitable for that sort of thing, I just sort of found myself heading over the bridge in that direction.

I carried on past Loch Humphrey until the track got pretty soft and grassy, my jelly babies ran out and I remembered I'd told the wife I was only out for a 20 minute ride...
8926173274_ea35a77ce0_c.jpg

Cool!! What's the road surface like up to there, and how steep is it??

Up past Loch Humphrey I'd love to cycle round the back and down into either Overtoun (Dumbarton) or in the other direction to Milngavie or wherever it goes.

Finnjävel

I'm in the southwest part if the country, so we don't really get that. But the sun sets very slowly, so there is a long dusk.

Teuchter

Über Member
Cool!! What's the road surface like up to there, and how steep is it??
Most of it is just a long, gradual slog and not too bad. There's about 1/3 of a mile towards the end of the climb that ramps sharply up to about 20% (according to rideswithgps.com). As I was already quite tired from the 2 mile climb up to that point, I walked that bit!

As far as the loch, the surface is fairly good. A fairly pot-holed tarmac road lower down then light dirt / gravel for the most part with one short section of larger stones on the descent just before the loch.

Beyond that the track narrows and becomes grassy and in places quite boggy. I imagine it would be a pretty bad if there had been lots of rain beforehand. I didn't go that far but think that once you were past the low lying area between the loch and Duncolm Hill it would be less boggy.

Up past Loch Humphrey I'd love to cycle round the back and down into either Overtoun (Dumbarton) or in the other direction to Milngavie or wherever it goes.
Not a bad idea. Looking at online maps, there seem to be quite a few trails over the back and once past the loch it would be a lot quieter too... it was like Sauchiehall Street as far as the loch, thanks to the sunshine!

I'm in the southwest part if the country, so we don't really get that. But the sun sets very slowly, so there is a long dusk.
In Shetland where I grew up, they call that the "Simmer Dim" when the sun goes down but it never really gets dark during summer.

Of course we all make up for it with those long, dark winter nights :sad:

Top Bottom