My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The sky had a strange and beautiful iridescence last night as I headed pubwards...

upload_2018-2-16_15-16-45.png

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've a few snaps to show off from the last week having been on La Palma. Nice to get away for a bit and I didn't really want to come back.

dsc0005814-jpg.jpg

Nice hotel.

dsc0005823-jpg.jpg

Banananana plantations.

dsc0005830-jpg.jpg

Black beaches.

dsc0005842-jpg.jpg

Bond villian's lair. (Alright, one of the observatories at Roque de Los Muchachos)

dsc0005867-jpg.jpg

Pine forests.

dsc0005871-jpg.jpg

A lesser summit (Pico Bejenado - 6000 feet ASL) but harder work to reach.

dsc0005877-jpg.jpg

Hello down there! Watch your step!

dsc0005882-jpg.jpg

Heading for the summit of a dormant volcano (Volcan Teneguia). It was seriously windy up there.

dsc0005883-jpg.jpg

A stroll through the lava fields.

This Morning
RAF Church Fenton, parked near the Control Tower
I so wanted a go!!!
(Reynolds-Boughton)
DSCF4339.JPG

This Afternoon
Misson
east of (ex-RAF) Finningley

I guess someone will know where it is. what it is, what it was meant for, & the business that owns the site now
It is a place I've known about for many years, but have never been into
(a friend has, but told me after he'd been)
DSCF0585.JPG

Edit @ 20:10

Also, this afternoon, whilst on a circuitous journey back from Misson
I had intended a few 'Great North Road' related images, northwards from Bawtry, but it was too busy, & the images kept flaring due to the bright Sun light

Bawtry. 20.JPG

Last edited:

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
IMG_20180217_150718.jpg

Taken this afternoon at the National Trust grounds - Dyrham Park, South Gloucestershire.

Elysian_Roads

This Morning
RAF Church Fenton, parked near the Control Tower
I so wanted a go!!!
(Reynolds-Boughton)
View attachment 396322
Recognised the missile as a Bloodhound surface to air missile. Remember building one as an Airfix model as a child! A quick Google reveals they were based at RAF Misson to defend other local airfields against air attack.

This Afternoon
Misson
east of (ex-RAF) Finningley

I guess someone will know where it is. what it is, what it was meant for, & the business that owns the site now
It is a place I've known about for many years, but have never been into
(a friend has, but told me after he'd been)
View attachment 396321

Edit @ 20:10

Also, this afternoon, whilst on a circuitous journey back from Misson
I had intended a few 'Great North Road' related images, northwards from Bawtry, but it was too busy, & the images kept flaring due to the bright Sun light

View attachment 396324

Elysian_Roads

Recognised the missile as a Bloodhound surface to air missile. Remember building one as an Airfix model as a child! A quick Google reveals they were based at RAF Misson to defend other local airfields against air attack. Need to working on my posting skills!

Recognised the missile as a Bloodhound surface to air missile. Remember building one as an Airfix model as a child! A quick Google reveals they were based at RAF Misson to defend other local airfields against air attack. Need to working on my posting skills!
Indeed it is!
I remember the model too

Misson, is a couple of miles east of (RAF) Finningley...... which is now Robin Hood/Doncaster Airport
The Bloodhounds were there as the surface-air defence system, for the airfield..... which was a V-Bomber (nuclear) base
Co-incidentally XH558 was stationed at Finningley for 8(?) years

It's still known as 'The Rocket Site'
DSCF0583.JPG

If you open this, & look at the aerial photographs, the launch points can be easily seen
http://www.ljacksonandco.com/index.php/visit-us

Fast accelerating little buggers too!!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodhound_(missile)
As this quote, in the text, states;
"By the time the missile has just cleared the launcher it is doing 400 mph. By the time the missile is 25 feet from the launcher it has reached the speed of sound (around 720 mph). Three seconds after launch, as the four boost rockets fall away, it has reached Mach 2.5 which is roughly 1,800 mph"

Last edited:
Top Bottom