My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
My garden, I’ve really enjoyed it during the lockdown, I’ve pottered about, restored bikes in it, enjoyed some some nice al fresco meals. Although it’s been a worrying time, it’s not all been bad.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

A stupidly hot day on the farm..
Planting aubergines 🍆 and peppers in the tunnel, like a sauna.

Courgettes nearly ready though..

And peas for tea :rolleyes:

Going for a ride first thing tomorrow, too hot in the middle of the day right now.

And It's only May :eek:

Gunk

Guru
Going for a ride first thing tomorrow, too hot in the middle of the day right now.

It is amazing weather, I’ve actually picked up a bit of tan, I look as if I’ve been on my hols. My son and I were going to do a longer ride today and we’ve decided that it’s just too warm, we’ll go out for a shorter ride along the river later when the sun isn’t quite so fierce. It must be 40c plus in those poly tunnels :ohmy:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It is amazing weather, I’ve actually picked up a bit of tan, I look as if I’ve been on my hols. My son and I were going to do a longer ride today and we’ve decided that it’s just too warm, we’ll go out for a shorter ride along the river later when the sun isn’t quite so fierce. It must be 40c plus in those poly tunnels :ohmy:

Yup, we've had to instigate early starts, late finishes, and a 3hr midday siesta.

Extreme weather events didn't just go away because covid 19 came along.

Seriously worrying.

I'm lucky to have a borehole with access to a good aquifer so I can use as much water as I can pump.. But there's a limit to the amount of irrigation pipe I can deploy and utilise at one time.

I don't know how people with supplies limited by volume or cost, are managing.

Nothing in the news about it beyond - "isn't it lovely weather now we can go to the beach"

The general population are that out of touch with their food supply. :sad:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
This isn't from today, but it is the first time it has been digital.

In 2000 I set off round the world for a 19 months trip. I shot on slide film and film. The slides have sat in a closed metal container for the past 18 years or so. I've dug out my old slide scanner and am starting again on doing high quality scans. Jessops did some for me years ago but I was never happy witheir results which were fairly low res. I think Jessops went bust.

Just shows how good slide film was ( and still is if you can get it).

This is on a walk near Mount Cook in New Zealand.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
View attachment 525255
A stupidly hot day on the farm..
Planting aubergines 🍆 and peppers in the tunnel, like a sauna.
View attachment 525256
Courgettes nearly ready though..
View attachment 525257

And peas for tea :rolleyes:

Where are you? When I'm at the French place in August, 35C isn't uncommon these days, which is quite warm (but doesn't stop me), though 40C is definitely getting uncomfortable down in the valley, so I'll head up to the plateau, where it's 10C cooler.

Doesn't seem to happen very often in Devon... but my dairy farming friends are definitely crying out for rain now...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'm in East Devon, yes the grass is very dry and crispy, not much regrowth after first silage cut, and no rain on the horizon.

Only "scorchio" for the forseeable:eek:

Edit. And yes usually in the High Pyrenees late Aug early September - very nice - but its often unbearable there at lower altitudes..

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm in East Devon, yes the grass is very dry and crispy, not much regrowth after first silage cut, and no rain on the horizon.

Only "scorchio" for the forseeable:eek:

Edit. And yes usually in the High Pyrenees late Aug early September - very nice - but its often unbearable there at lower altitudes..
I milked for a farmer on sandy soil just east of Exeter for several years, and maize was a real boon in dry years... but even that needs some rain now!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I milked for a farmer on sandy soil just east of Exeter for several years, and maize was a real boon in dry years... but even that needs some rain now!

But sadly that maize growing is b*ggering the soil now too.

Late harvest, wet autumns, no time to reestablish cover before the winter comes = lots of run off - especially on those light soils..

All ends up in the rivers, hence the westerly half of Lyme Bay is often red with good Devonian topsoil :sad:

Top Bottom