My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
It’s a hard life

Attachments

• 3C3B1EEC-E3DD-45B1-B121-31E0DADC2690.jpeg
    3C3B1EEC-E3DD-45B1-B121-31E0DADC2690.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 6

avecReynolds531

Veteran

My picture(s) of the day - we were on holiday in the Netherlands a few years ago: the barriers descended, the road madly began to rise up...

...Opening scene of the Blues Brothers film?

After a short time, it was the road's turn to descend...

...almost back to level...

...and this was the reason why...:smile:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
View attachment 534192
My picture(s) of the day - we were on holiday in the Netherlands a few years ago: the barriers descended, the road madly began to rise up...
View attachment 534193
...Opening scene of the Blues Brothers film?
View attachment 534194
After a short time, it was the road's turn to descend...
View attachment 534195
View attachment 534196
...almost back to level...
View attachment 534197
...and this was the reason why...:smile:
I have never seen trolley tracks cross a lift bridge before.
By the way, you need a Mount Prospect Police Car to jump that gap.
Looks like Tsar Peter the Great came back to the Netherlands to learn more about shipbuilding.

avecReynolds531

Veteran

Out today in the breezy sunshine: the Oast house in the background is, for me, a local landmark. It's relatively high up & can be seen from different directions around. The classic 3 white roof cones always make me smile:smile:

Sakae randonneur handlebars, a B17 and a springy Reynolds frame (with a Jack Taylor fork rake) are a joy.

On the other hand, several of my friction gear changes were more like "If you can't find it, grind it" and "It's in there somewhere!":blush:
Practice, practice, practice...

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
View attachment 534328
Out today in the breezy sunshine: the Oast house in the background is, for me, a a local landmark. It's relatively high up & can be seen from different directions around. The classic 3 white roof cones always make me smile:smile:

Sakae randonneur handlebars, a B17 and a springy Reynolds frame (with a Jack Taylor fork rake) are a joy.

On the other hand, several of my friction gear changes were more like "If you can't find it, grind it" and "It's in there somewhere!":blush:
Practice, practice, practice...

I've found that the friction changers just take some practice, I'm now changing without really thinking about it, and it's quite satisfying when it engages gear smoothly each time.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've found that the friction changers just take some practice, I'm now changing without really thinking about it, and it's quite satisfying when it engages gear smoothly each time.
There's a curious thing about this - it's only one gear change that's rough - from 5th to 4th. The rest are fine - snappy and precise & as you describe 'changing without really thinking about it, and it's quite satisfying when it engages gear smoothly each time.'

I grew up with friction downtube levers - it's not a new thing for me. It may be that the 4th cog of this freewheel is slightly worn & I reckon it's time for a new chain in any case.

I'll see how it goes...or maybe the (much loved & so far faultless) Record 10 groupset will end up transplanted - as discussed in the vintage frame/ modern parts thread. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom