My picture of the day-Where's yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
IMG-20220728-WA0006.jpg

Chislenko

Veteran
An Indian restaurant in Stonehaven that is designed like a train carriage.

IMG_20211004_214056145_HDR.jpg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_1421.JPG

The Antony Gormley iron man statue looking out to sea at Margate..
Low tide, so I managed to walk out to it.

Kent newspaper linkie

tyred

Legendary Member
The Amazing Grace walk. It was here near Buncrana on the shores of Lough Swilly in 1748 that naval officer and slave trader John Newton cried out to God for mercy as his ship was battered by a severe storm and he was convinced that he was going to die. He survived and he gave up slave trading and began to study theology. He wrote the famous Hymn "Amazing Grace" as thanks to God for saving his life during that storm.

IMG_20220729_113739.jpg

Gwylan

Veteran
The Amazing Grace walk. It was here near Buncrana on the shores of Lough Swilly in 1748 that naval officer and slave trader John Newton cried out to God for mercy as his ship was battered by a severe storm and he was convinced that he was going to die. He survived and he gave up slave trading and began to study theology. He wrote the famous Hymn "Amazing Grace" as thanks to God for saving his life during that storm.

View attachment 654890

His congregation were generally illiterate, so he wrote hymns with memorable lyrics. Allegedly.

Also knocked out a lot of them. I'd have to Google to find one though

tyred

Legendary Member
His congregation were generally illiterate, so he wrote hymns with memorable lyrics. Allegedly.

Also knocked out a lot of them. I'd have to Google to find one though

I suppose few normal people had the opportunity to be educated in the 18th century.

He definitely did write a lot. I am far from being religious and generally only be at church for family funerals or maybe at Christmas as I like carols but it saddens me that they have messed with the lyrics of the great Hymns of the past as they've ruined them. Much like the way they've ruined the Bible with all the new versions instead of the beautifully written King James version.

Much like the way they've ruined the Bible with all the new versions instead of the beautifully written King James version.

During my Theology A-level the KJV was pretty much banned in the classroom because of its inaccuracy and bias in favour of James, who was one of the greatest adverts for republicanism the Monarchy ever provided.

It turns out theology is a bit like the H*lm*t debate writ large...

Top Bottom