My porridge recipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Get them Quaker Oats that come in sachets. Get a measuring cup from Mc D's to get the right amount of milk. Wang it in the micro wave, add in some sugar and whatever else i fancy and your done.
To wash up, put it in a bowl of hot water and leave it whie you go out on your bike or to work. When you get back, most of the remains has come off, and you just need to rinse it to get the rest off. Or wait till you have more pots to wash properly.

bonj2

don't know what this method of using water is, porridge is supposed to be made with milk. I largely follow summerdays' method, although i tend to put a load of jam on it as i can't stomach honey for some reason. Must be the type of sugars in it, i prefer fruit sugars to the wax-type of sugars you get in honey.

Keith Oates

Janner
For me breakfast porridge (when I can get some as it's not available here in Vietnam) consists of 5 table spoons of oats, add boiling water into the bowl and stir well. Then pop it into the micro for about 1 minute stir it again and let to settle for about 5 mins. Sometimes add honey or banana but most times add nothing. Then the commute is waiting and I'm happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe

Über Member
I've always made it with milk but recently switched to water. I prefer! Usually with honey. Or jam, raisins, sugar etc
Not had the guts to try it salted yet though:blush:

wafflycat

Oats into porridge doesn't require any faffing about with soaking overhight. 30g oats, water to cover, add a bit of whatever it is you favour for sweetening, zap in microwave for about a minite and a half. Only wimps make their porridge with milk, by the way.;) We northern ladies are brought up as tough cookies and were brought up on porridge made with water. Milk is to be added afterwards only a splash, if really wanted. :biggrin: Top with fruit/honey/yoghurt/ whatever takes your fancy.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Keith Oates said:
For me breakfast porridge (when I can get some as it's not available here in Vietnam) consists of 5 table spoons of oats, add boiling water into the bowl and stir well. Then pop it into the micro for about 1 minute stir it again and let to settle for about 5 mins. Sometimes add honey or banana but most times add nothing. Then the commute is waiting and I'm happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine way is more or less the same Keith. I use one cup of oats, two cups of milk, two mins in the microwave, stir, one more minute, take out add honey, various berries and eat.

porridge

LOVE porridge

Anyway this how I make it

325g of Tesco finest porridge oats (half a packet), put in a large microwavable bowl with lid

Pour in 3 pints of semi skimmed milk

Heat for 8 minutes in microwave (no stirring)

Get 7 individual pots and put porridge into pots

Allow to cool, then add dried Raisins and dried apricots, during the summer I also add strawberries.

Then place in fridge to chill and eat chilled (add a chopped bananna at the time of eating)

Wierd, but I love it

buddha

Veteran
Fnarr, I tried your recipe and almost barfed :smile: (But pulled a good gurning face in the process)
Guess I am just a southern softie. So back to the full milk and sugar method for me.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
buddha said:
Fnarr, I tried your recipe and almost barfed :smile: (But pulled a good gurning face in the process)
Guess I am just a southern softie. So back to the full milk and sugar method for me.
I'm an exiled southern softie ... I like it with water... put milk and sugar on top though!

Top Bottom