My project - PT Stallard Cotswold (Warning - This could last forever !)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daysnways

Picked this up for £31 - PT Stallard Cotswold Reynolds 531 Renovated frame...pleasure to bring this lovely thing back home to its roots.

That's as much as I know - will be off to Wolvo library to find out exactly when this beauty was put together thanks to the in depth frame making records that are held in its city of origin.

I understand the renovated sticker basically just means it's been resprayed at some point.

I know Percy Thornley was very keen on French frame making and French running gear and from the few others I've seen on line they appear to be running Simplex, so its kind of a start.

My friend manages a paint stripping business, so that is first port of call, I read somewhere that care has to be taken paint stripping certain frames if the tubes are thin, so slight concern, anyone got any tips on stripping it?

The colour where it hasn't faded is a rich beautiful Old Orange Copper colour, so It's my intention to have it re-sprayed as close to this as possible.

Money is non existent, so it will be slow going, but ultimately I will get there with it.

Finding the date will help.

Cheers

BxCR3nOIYAAjsu7.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
that looks a good find and a nice project

Drago

Legendary Member
Standard 531 is well able to withstand regular bead blasting. It's been repainted once already (hence the 531 renovated decal), so you don't need to worry about recreating or preserving the original finish, because it's not the original finish.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

Cheers, he'll do a good job with it I'm sure.

Are there anti corrosive treatments or things I should be doing to the frame before its resprayed, or would a good frame maker do all that?

Tempted to take it down to Swallow cycles in Ironbridge once its naked to see how much they will charge me.

stevevw

Guru
I like the colour of the side on, not so keen on the head tube shot colour. will make up in to a very nice bike.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

BxHrICNCIAEkhwa.jpg
Allegedly it was built to order for a guy who used to race, guy I brought ot off gave me a picture of the fella, I've promptly forgotten his name, Graham Moore, something like that, apparently the bike in the picture is the bike I have, evidently before its respray, as it appears to have a white headtube with darker Lugs.

Would someone who ordered a handbuilt frame to race it, have it with a light bracket on the fork though, not particularly racy is it? Can't tell on the image, because the wheel is obscuring the fork leg.

I'm tempted now to maybe have it repainted in more of a standard PT Stallard colourway, more original...

I'm assuming the records won't go as far as saying what colour it was, but you never know your luck!

If i had to hazard a guess at the date of the picture i would say it was about Early 70s?

Last edited:

Dave McGee

I saw your posts as I was trawling for information that might eventually lead me back to my Stallard Cotswold.

You may or may not be aware that Percy's build records are held in the City Archive in the old Molyneux Hotel building adjacent to the Ring Road. If you want to discover the original paper work it helps if you take along the frame number. Mine was CH 66016 which decodes to no16 built in 1966. They will photocopy the paperwork for 40p per sheet for you.. Entrance is free and doesn't need to be pre booked.

Good luck with your project.

Top Bottom