My project - PT Stallard Cotswold (Warning - This could last forever !)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

Hi Ian,

Wow good to know. It's slow going, only just had it stripped. From further research it now loos like it was almost certainly 1969 build. Apparently the first two figures should be read back to front. I've yet to get the archived records, but do know it costs 12.50 for them to bother to look and the woman was decidedly unhelpful on the phone - never mind i've got a form to fill in and send to them.

see attached, work of art,...just trying to decide on a colour.

CjKw4UcWkAAeK_z.jpg
CjKw7KuW0AI6P2R.jpg
CjKw-DjXAAQHrno.jpg
CjKxAwjWkAAfi_4.jpg

ian c

Yep, the frame numbers start with the year stamped backwards (apart from 67 when they were stamped '67').

The archive is free to access btw - I think you might have been told the costs for the research to be done for you and information then posted to your home address. The way I did it was to send an email asking if I could see any info relating to the frame numbers I had and they then replied. As the records are not microfiched you can go in anytime up to 30 minutes before closing and they will get the info for you to look through. Photocopies are 30p each - you will likely have to pay about 90p for both sides of the build docket and one side of the order notes sheet (if present).

It's useful to pop in and have a look as the build docket states the original colour and any details such as if any panels on the downtube or seat tube are panelled or if the lugs are edged in a contrasting colour.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
You know, the depth of knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me!
Yep, the frame numbers start with the year stamped backwards (apart from 67 when they were stamped '67').

The archive is free to access btw - I think you might have been told the costs for the research to be done for you and information then posted to your home address. The way I did it was to send an email asking if I could see any info relating to the frame numbers I had and they then replied. As the records are not microfiched you can go in anytime up to 30 minutes before closing and they will get the info for you to look through. Photocopies are 30p each - you will likely have to pay about 90p for both sides of the build docket and one side of the order notes sheet (if present).

It's useful to pop in and have a look as the build docket states the original colour and any details such as if any panels on the downtube or seat tube are panelled or if the lugs are edged in a contrasting colour.

theelaga

although they were a little brusque over the phone, I found the archives department really helpful, I was bought a PT Stallard in white when I was 10 (I am now 58) from the Broad Street shop. It was stolen when I was about 15. last year I bought the one in the photo and have rebuilt it and refurbished it. The archives department found all the records for me and of the one my Mom bought me, only charge was copying. Moving soon and havent got space for it so it will be sold soon, only missing item from original is the Huret gears, it does have a single speed though on same hub and rides well.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

finally got around to visiting the archives in Wolvo.

Not a tonne of info, just the build slip, which in itself didn't say much.

The bike was destined/ordered by Johnny Berry bike shop in Rusholme, Manchester. This guy built his own bikes, so found that interesting? I think his production by 69 was very low though, so probably to supplement his own bikes.

Build date: 17.11.69
Frame: Cotswold
Size: 23"
Tubing: 531 FT (Does fFT stand for fully tubed, as in all 531?)
Colour: Orange enamel - Panels: white head, 6" seat panel & script panel (It was all orange enamel when i picked it up and had a 531 renovated sticker, so i assume it was re-sprayed all orange at some point?
Group: 5 speed Huret Svelto (urggh)
Saddle: Brooks B15 (nice)

That's the lot.

Cy2mejTWgAER-tZ.jpg

Cy2mclkWEAAwIfW.jpg

Last edited:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
The bike was destined/ordered by Johnny Berry bike shop in Rusholme, Manchester. This guy built his own bikes, so found that interesting? I think his production by 69 was very low though, so probably to supplement his own bikes.

I remember the shop very well; imo, Johnny Berry was one of the best frame-builders ever.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

I remember the shop very well; imo, Johnny Berry was one of the best frame-builders ever.

as such he wouldn't have sold any old rubbish, and obviously had a good relationship with Percy

My guess, and it is a guess, would be that FT stands for Frame Tubes. In those days the top level of frame was 531 Double Butted Forks Tubes and Stays. The 531 Frame Tubes option was more of a touring set-up, which the Cotswold name sort of suggests. Still a very desirable frame. Not many bikes would stand that level of "stripped naked" scrutiny.

OP
OP
daysnways

daysnways

My Grand father Joe Oliver probably built this frame
The name rings a bell from my research, thank you. You have a log to be proud of, it's a lovely build. It's still lying in my back room. Waiting to be resprayed unfortunately money restraints have put it on the back burner somewhat.

Any further info on your grandfather and his frame building history would be great.

Cheers

Keith

Top Bottom