My pulse jet gained a pulse today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I finally got things together at school today and made my first attempt to get my newly acquired pulse jet engine running. It's essentially the same sort of engine used to propel V1 bombs during WWII. It uses petrol as a fuel and the first test firing used an air line to keep the engine running. Some fettling of its petal valves and fuel metering orifices is needed before self sustaining running can happen. Theat my New year project.

Turn up the sound to get some idea of the noise and even then it will be a pale imitation of what it nreally sounds like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I need to be at your school/class. Awesome. Mr Boffin. Bet you are popular. My 14 year old was gripped.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

I need to be at your school/class. Awesome. Mr Boffin. Bet you are popular. My 14 year old was gripped.

Here's one that your fourteen year old can make from two tin cans - a large coffee tin and a hot dog tin. It uses a small amount of meths in the inner can as a fuel and the gap between the cans is filled with water. Araldite the inner can to the outer can. Operate it in a well ventilated room. Mine set off the CO alarm after two minutes. My best run was five minutes.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Here's one that your fourteen year old can make from two tin cans - a large coffee tin and a hot dog tin. It uses a small amount of meths in the inner can as a fuel and the gap between the cans is filled with water. Araldite the inner can to the outer can. Operate it in a well ventilated room. Mine set of the CO alarm after two minutes. My best run was five minutes.

He just said 'when can we build it'.... summer i said... :ohmy:

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Bet you are well popular Vernon. Awesome stuff. STEM education is so essential.

Your offspring will like the Christmas Lectures that are broadcast after Christmas: http://www.rigb.org/christmas-lectures

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
You're a bad man, Vernon, leading people astray. I looked at the Royal Institute website via your link, saw that Andrew Szdylo was giving a lecture in February, looked him up on YouTube to see if there were any lectures on there apart from the one I'd already seen (there wasn't), and saw a video for a fully automatic gauss gun. Now I'm wondering if gauss guns are classed as firearms under UK law...

Top Bottom