My rear wheel is making an odd noise?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vincealot

As the title says. My rear wheel when span makes a noise that sounds like the brakes are rubbing. The brake pads are not rubbing and from insepction I cant see of anything coming into contact with the tyre or rim. I have noticed the wheel has a slight buckle which I think was caused my a crater of a pothole i managed to go over last week. The bike made an awful crack kind of sound upon impact. I ride a Carrera Vanquish 2007 Model black road bike. Dunno if that helps or not.

From your experience what could be causing this noise? Bearings? My local (superb) bike shop dont repair bikes they havent sold so dont want to take it there only to be told to take it some where else. Mind you I've introduced 2 new cyclists to them and helped generate them over £2k's worth of sales :smile:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Could be the hub.

Take off the front wheel, spin it in your hands and notice how it feels - it should be smooth without any "grabbing".

Then do the same with the rear wheel - if it isn't as smooth then the hub will need a bit of attention.

PpPete

Legendary Member
A lot of bike shops say they'll only deal with stuff they themselves have sold, so as not to have the hassle of dealing with BSOs. Usually they are, in practice, quite happy to deal with decent quality bikes they havn't sold.

But if you take them just the wheel how will they know what bike it comes from? You see those Alex rims on Carreras and all kinds of other bikes too.

D

Deleted member 1258

Vincealot said:
As the title says. My rear wheel when span makes a noise that sounds like the brakes are rubbing. The brake pads are not rubbing and from insepction I cant see of anything coming into contact with the tyre or rim. I have noticed the wheel has a slight buckle which I think was caused my a crater of a pothole i managed to go over last week. The bike made an awful crack kind of sound upon impact. I ride a Carrera Vanquish 2007 Model black road bike. Dunno if that helps or not.

From your experience what could be causing this noise? Bearings? My local (superb) bike shop dont repair bikes they havent sold so dont want to take it there only to be told to take it some where else. Mind you I've introduced 2 new cyclists to them and helped generate them over £2k's worth of sales :ohmy:

Is this the shop in Lockhurst lane? If you want them to look at it its worth going to talk to them and see what they say.

gbb

Legendary Member
Might be worth checking your spoke protector disc if you've one fitted. Wifes bike had a wierd noise on and off, not loud but annoying some time ago. Took me for ever to track it down. I think the spoke(s) was/were rubbing against the disc.
Not likely, but worth a lookee.

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

dave r said:
Is this the shop in Lockhurst lane? If you want them to look at it its worth going to talk to them and see what they say.

Thats the exact bike shop I'm talking about Dave. The guys there are top and their advice and help since I've started cycling has been brill. I've taken my front wheel in for them to re true a few weeks back and they did say they'd put new bar tap on my drops etc. I was just concered about taking my whole bike in. I think they might have a look at it for me as I'm a nice fellow and I go in quite often to spend money. Just thought I'd see what people on here suggested first. Thank you all for the help so far :wacko:

I havent had time to look at it with work and a 30miler on the mountain bike yesterday. Its seems to ride fine and I cant hear the noise when I'm cycling its just when I'm walking the bike or spinning the back wheel by hand.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Take it in and ask them their advice... presumably they sell parts ... so you could just be going in to get a part that they would recommend;) - and maybe they might offer to fix it for you?:wacko:

D

Deleted member 1258

Vincealot said:
Thats the exact bike shop I'm talking about Dave. The guys there are top and their advice and help since I've started cycling has been brill. I've taken my front wheel in for them to re true a few weeks back and they did say they'd put new bar tap on my drops etc. I was just concered about taking my whole bike in. I think they might have a look at it for me as I'm a nice fellow and I go in quite often to spend money. Just thought I'd see what people on here suggested first. Thank you all for the help so far :evil:

I know a lot of the people there from the Cov Road Club

http://www.coventryroadclub.org.uk/

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

Cheers Dave r. I keep meaning to go along on one of the Sunday rides with the Cov road club but something always comes up like a party, or im working or something or other!

Well today was a first. I was doing about 28mph along a nice flat straight, and could hear the rubbing again. Then all of a sudden a loud bang! My rear wheel is all torn and my inner tube is split. Dont know whats caused this! Had to get a taxi to finish my commute and now I dunno how I'm getting home tonight. Dont finish till 8pm and all my mates will be in the pub watching the footy and the girlfriend dont drive :tongue:

D

Deleted member 1258

Vincealot said:
Cheers Dave r. I keep meaning to go along on one of the Sunday rides with the Cov road club but something always comes up like a party, or im working or something or other!

Well today was a first. I was doing about 28mph along a nice flat straight, and could hear the rubbing again. Then all of a sudden a loud bang! My rear wheel is all torn and my inner tube is split. Dont know whats caused this! Had to get a taxi to finish my commute and now I dunno how I'm getting home tonight. Dont finish till 8pm and all my mates will be in the pub watching the footy and the girlfriend dont drive :blush:

Have you had a tyre sidewall failure? If the tyre develops a split in the sidewall part of the the tube can protrude through, this could cause the rubbing noise, the tube will get pinched at some point and go bang. I've had the beading part from the sidewall before now and the tube go bang, fortunately someone on the ride was carrying a short piece of tyre and we were able to fit my spare inner tube with the piece of tyre inside my tyre to stop the new tube protruding through. This got me home and since then I usually have a short piece cut of an old tyre in my saddle bag.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Jsut thrown a pair of tyres away. I'll look look to keeping some of the tyre wall in future. I do remember that puncture outfits used to have a piece of rubber covered fabric in the past:becool:.
A pity modern kits don't. But the still have the bit of rubber tubing to repair woods valves (who has these anymore).

OP
OP
Vincealot

Vincealot

dave r said:
Have you had a tyre sidewall failure? If the tyre develops a split in the sidewall part of the the tube can protrude through, this could cause the rubbing noise, the tube will get pinched at some point and go bang. I've had the beading part from the sidewall before now and the tube go bang, fortunately someone on the ride was carrying a short piece of tyre and we were able to fit my spare inner tube with the piece of tyre inside my tyre to stop the new tube protruding through. This got me home and since then I usually have a short piece cut of an old tyre in my saddle bag.

Yes the side wall was split. Total length of the split was about 4- 5 inches. I managed to get another inner tube. Someone at work drove to the Halfords in Nuneaton for me. I work at the Bermuda Park. I used the same tyre and only slighty pumped it up so the inner tube didnt pretrude. I just rolled home at about an average speed of 10mph lol. Made it home safely. Popped to Ride today. Stocked up on inner tubes and bought some Continental Ultra Gator's. So much for the fancy sporty Schwable Stelvios :biggrin: Now my bikes doesnt look as cool :biggrin:

Top Bottom