My riding position

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steppylud

Über Member
Right, I ride a Specialized Sirrus.

I get massively sore wrists and numb hands while riding, I can tell that my wrists are quite severely bent whilst riding and I am pretty sure that this is what is causing my pain. I think the handlebars are as high as they go, and I am pretty sure my seat is the correct height. I am contemplating some bar ends to keep my hands at the correct angle but is there anything else I can do? I bought some cycling gloves and this has made it slightly more comfortable, but I still get numb hands after fairly short distances. Is there any benefit to moving the seat forward or back?

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
I use to get this... I think it was because I was putting too much weight on them. Elbows too. I moved my seat... I think backwards, and it did help.

OP
OP
Steppylud

Steppylud

Über Member
Thanks, Yeah Elbow hurts too, but I thought that might have been from playing squash, might give it a go.

FeistySquirrel

Professional Jelly Baby Decapitator
The other thing which mainly made my elbows ache was from over extending them... I was reaching too far and they were pretty much locked. It became a mix of a flipped or shorter stem, and getting the seat in right position.

matth411

Veteran
I used to get this with my Sirrus too. Only two ways I have managed to stop it is making sure saddle position is right and moving my hands around a bit. For example, once I am on a straight road and in my stride, i.e. not sprinting or standing, my hands go over the gear shifters. Not so much that I can't hit the brakes quickly, but enough to change the position of the hands. I only really use the grip parts of the handlebars for cornering, sprinting or standing. From what I have read on here, check your seat position (height, fore, aft, tilt) and the height of the handlebars.

Top Bottom