My Second Anniversary today !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
2 years ago I started this, still the best decision I have made since I divorced my first wife !

So in total 397 days commuting, 13,550 miles.

I have spent £1,900 on bike related commuting stuff, but still estimate that after selling the car a year ago, petrol and car costs I have saved etc I am still £3,000 up.

Roll on another year !!

mummra

Über Member
I'm coming up to my first year anniversary for commuting and I'm still married :tongue:

Haven't got rid of my car yet but it's going to be real soon.

Dread to think how much I've speant on gear and clothes in the previous year. Especially as the bike is 5 years old and hardly used before last year.

I'm well down on your mileage though - 1136 miles :whistle:

Holdsworth

Über Member
It is coming up on a year since I started commuting my bike, Monday 5th July 2010 was the day I climbed on my bike and rode the 5 miles to my summer job at Reaseheath Golf Club, it was my 2 year old, £80 BSO from Freemans catalogue that I had at the time!. It knackered me out big time being really overweight (15.5-16 stone) & unfit at the time but I had no other choice being too poor (and still too poor) to afford any sort of car after passing my test on 21st of June. I didn't get into it for any health reasons, the realization that I was loosing quantities of weight became apparent after a couple of months.

After the job ended after two months I was cycling to the same place to attend the college 4 days a week and kept that up until December when I quit and went out looking for a job. Cycling took the back burner when I was on Jobseekers for obvious reasons. I was £2 off being in the red for the whole of December a chunk of January as I waited for my first payment to go through! I am now working with an agency 3 days a week in an office and I commute 9 miles each way. The pay is fairly low (not enough to warrant a car with todays insurance premiums for young people!) but I have been assured that it is stable and I am comfortable with my employers and the job I do.

I guess I have done between 1000 and 2000 miles since starting but I honestly haven't been counting and I don't log my overall miles with a computer. I have spent in the region of £1000 in total on bikes and gear in this time, including £600 spent in the last 2 weeks on a tourer and accessories! Still a long way short of what I would've spent if I had stumped up the money for a car and associated costs and I am fitter and happier I think for it
smile.gif

Hip Priest

Veteran
I raise a glass to all three of you. I completed my first month today, and I'm already seeing the fitness benefits and learning more and more about riding and maintaining a bicycle. I hope I'm still doing it in 2 years.

KingstonBiker

2 years ago I started this, still the best decision I have made since I divorced my first wife !

I have spent £1,900 on bike related commuting stuff, but still estimate that after selling the car a year ago, petrol and car costs I have saved etc I am still £3,000 up.

Roll on another year !!

That's an impressive amount of miles. I'll probably commute around 4,000 miles this year and my car will do less than that.

Strick

Roll on another year !!

Thats great to hear, and very impressive mileage AND savings. Even more impressive is your stats in your signature. Bloody well done!! I'm currently 17st3lb, and would be content to hit the 14st / 13st6lb area so you are certainly an inspiration my man. Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thats some going, did you wear your wheels out? :biggrin:

I average around 3,500 -4,000 miles a year commuting and thats just nice , your distance is fantastic !!

OP
OP
kevin_cambs_uk
Thats some going, did you wear your wheels out? :biggrin:

I average around 3,500 -4,000 miles a year commuting and thats just nice , your distance is fantastic !!

Cracked rear wheel rim at 5,000 miles, so gone back under warranty, I have my wife's wheel on at the moment as the new one is not back but this wheel lasted only 600 miles before 2 spokes snapped this week, so I very gingerly rode home yesterday from work, as both snapped spokes were next to each other, so a rather massive gap ! so at the moment, I am walking to work Monday !!!, but off to the LBS to have a look round.....

postman

Legendary Member
I also took up cycling ,on the advice of a firefighter who also was divorced.I had joined Nexus a singles group.Well that was 24 years ago.Still cycling and also remarried,but not from meeting someone through Nexus.But it did give me back the confidence to strike out on my own.Funny old world innit.

Top Bottom