My son dared me to

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
ride down Gwaenysgor hill, or even better up it. (he has this obsession with this hill) I declined. It got me wondering if anyone had ridden it. Probably not too bad for you experts.

deleteme.jpg

surfdude

Veteran
that looks nasty . is it a check your brakes before having a go .

jack smith

Veteran
33%and sharp bends, let me at it! On a serious note though do it on disk brakes if you can. I nearley overshot a hairpin with a big drop lastweek at 45 due to loose gravel on the road so dont go nuts.

Bends, only room for one car and (I presume) traffic going both directions!

It's a bit like Winnats Pass - that road is ruined by the cars driving up the hill at you stopping you taking the best line. A very fast downhill made into a very slow, very hot braking hill instead. If love to try going up it though.

Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?

It's a bit like Wynatts Pass - that road is ruined by the cars driving up the hill at you stopping you taking the best line. A very fast downhill made into a very slow, very hot braking hill instead. If love to try going up it though.
Winnats can do one in either direction.

If that drops off Berwyn ridge towards Talacre (ish)? I'd not go too mad as sightlines are poor and at the potential road speeds the wind noise would remove the ability to hear any danger! I might be tempted to follow a 'known nutter' obviously with them as a sacrificial lamb/test pilot:evil:
The drop from the same range westwards towards Cilcain has better sight lines and gets me to 39mph without pedalling - but at 14-15 stone I have more gravity assist than most, I can't imagine how quick I was when I 'gave it some' as my GPS was flat :cursing:

stephec

Legendary Member

It's a bit like Winnats Pass - that road is ruined by the cars driving up the hill at you stopping you taking the best line. A very fast downhill made into a very slow, very hot braking hill instead. If love to try going up it though.
I did my best ever top speed of 54mph down a quiet Winnats Pass.

Cantilever brakes on an old rigid MTB made it quite entertaining. :smile:

Top Bottom