My ti Marinoni

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Spacers brother spacers!

VV nice bike otherwise though. 600k? phew.

OP
OP
Randochap

Randochap

Senior hunter
Looks don't get you through the long haul

Gorrit.

Yes, 2 3/8" to be precise. In fact, there is another 1" of headtube/spacers still protruding above the stem 'n all -- which I Photoshopped out for the sake of esthetics.

However, at my arthritic age (56), esthetics goes out the window, especially on a 400, 600 or whatever.

I had this frame built precisely to address some of the issues with my other rando bike and when I installed the fork, I only cut a couple of inches off the steerer tube. The other inch referred to above I think will come off, but I'm happy to leave it until I'm absolutely sure I don't need it. As it sits now, the bars, you can see, are a comfortable couple of inches above saddle height.

You'll notice I also have FSA "short and shallow" (sorta like me!) bars. They -- in addition to the high bar position -- allow me to spend more time in the drops, should I be faced with a headwind. Still, on a long brevet, comfort is much more important than a minor advantage in aerodynamics.

Anyone who has ever suffered the dreaded "Shermer's neck" -- as I did during Paris-Brest-Paris will understand what I'm going on about. There are, of course, alternatives to the unorthodox steerer/stem rig
arvid%20pain.jpg

but I think prevention is the best cure;) BTW, that's not me, above ... I couldn't find a Home Depot in Brest!

I have a bit of a rant on Veloweb about the "ideal" long-distance bike (with the bike illustrating the page being the one eclipsed by the new Marinoni Sportivo "Randonnee").

As I say on the Sportivo link, 4 posts above, one of the main reasons for breaking the bank for the titanium frame, was also an investment in comfort ... which the ti definitely exhibits over long or short rides.

Anyway, don't you think that big stack of carbon spacers looks cool?;)

Top Bottom