My tips for cycling in France

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Jimmy Doug, 4 Jul 2011.

1. J1888

J1888 Über Member

Jeez louise - 75 miles will be a struggle for me, starting to get my miles up - did 20 miles yesterday albeit on the Lee Valley road track. Might take a few cycles down to Brighton or maybe even Portsmouth go get the miles in.

2. Toemul

Toemul Regular

Was a little too far for me really. my original plan was Caen to Barcelona over 8 days then after advice on here decided to shorten the distance with a train journey form Limoges to Toulouse then continue on from there but as I said was knackered on day four so got a train from Montmorillon to the Limoges train, on Google maps this whole journey is 450 miles in real world it was 550 miles.

3. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Guru

It was mostly an awesome route. Two days from Exeter to Portsmouth, then five days from St Malo to Die: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/1441823

Last edited: 5 Feb 2017
    Donger likes this.
  4. Toemul

Toemul Regular

Yep top route and as I said the mileage is awsum.

5. Toemul

Toemul Regular

Didn't do much in the way of training just my 12miles daily commute and a couple of 40 milers to get used to the new handle bar set up on the hybrid.

6. Winnershsaint

Winnershsaint Veteran

Does anyone know if it is possible to put a bike on a cable car? I have been doing a bit of route planning for our trip to France at the end of June and thought it would be something a bit different to ride up to Les Deux Alpes and then take the cable car to Venosc and ride alonng the D530 back to Bourg d'Oisans.

7. Dave Davenport

Dave Davenport Guru

I think they're used for downhill mountain bikes a fair bit so I'd have thought you'd be ok.

8. You can certainly put a bike on the descent to Venosc from LDA, but there's also a stunning bike exclusive trail suitable for gravel/off road bikes underneath the cable route. Personally, knowing the area well, I'd prefer to ride up to Venosc, ascend to LDA then enjoy the superb descent to Bourg d'Oisans via D220, or Mont de Lans which is a bit longer but not as scenic and quiet as the D220.

9. Winnershsaint

Winnershsaint Veteran

Thanks for that info. Not sure if the R3 is up to going x-country. I've been planning my routes for a number of months. The cable car idea was designed as a bit of 'rest' day plan if needed. Also some photo opportunities.

10. RobCyclist

RobCyclist Active Member

Really helpful post, thanks for sharing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice