My turn to be judged I think

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pretty short, and yes, I know I fanny about and extend my journey by doing that extra loop but it gives you guys more chance to spot me doing something stoooopid and pull me up on it. Especially as I do negotiate the second RAB a fair bit, though coming off on the third exit.

The speed sign flashing is not spurious, I set it off every time I go along there. Its on a hair trigger, 31mph will set it flashing.

I am all over the road because it is soooo quiet when those gates are shut, and visibility is pretty good.

Not much to say about this one, just don't abuse me too much for how slowly I climbed that hill, it's steeper in real life!

I kind of look forward to your comments on my riding! Please be constructive:sad:

p.s. If you find another of my videos, about the first part of the commute, please watch it with the sound off! I didn't edit that one!

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Bi-cycle or moter-cycle? :blush: :biggrin:

Sorry, can't add anything constructive as I know bugger all myself.

Looks very fast though :angry:

Looks pretty good to me!

Very little happened on the first video, where was everyone!

The second was fine as well. Good to see you keeping up with the lotus!!

Only point I noticed was that you sometimes sat on the far right of the car in front. Generally best to keep to the middle of the lane which stops cars creeping up your left hand side in queues and then trying to undertake you when everyone pulls off.

Oh and just remembered the ped that you had to swerve for, but I think you pointed that out anyway!

You reacted well to the guy coming the wrong way in the second video!:angry:

Only thing I saw in the third was at the right turn when you had to stop to let the (red? ) car with the loud exhaust past. Why did you not hold the primary on the turn? was he hassling you from behind?

Overall I would mark that an A (you just missed an A+ !)

Good stuff. Are you watching bonj? :blush:

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

magnatom
Only point I noticed was that you sometimes sat on the far right of the car in front. Generally best to keep to the middle of the lane which stops cars creeping up your left hand side in queues and then trying to undertake you when everyone pulls off.

The sitting far to the right thing must be harking to riding my motorbike, as it is far enough over so that I am not in the drivers blindspot, I am directly in their mirror. It also gives the best forward visibility over the slow moving traffic.

When I did it behind the Lotus before going round the RAB, I was actually hanging onto the raillings so that I didn't have to unclip.

It is something to think about though, as my legs don't quite have the pull off the line that 400cc's of finely tuned Honda V4 do!! Thanks for pointing it out.

magnatom
Only thing I saw in the third was at the right turn when you had to stop to let the (red? ) car with the loud exhaust past. Why did you not hold the primary on the turn? was he hassling you from behind?

It looks less deliberate on the vid than it was, as you can't see me wave him past. I pulled over on purpose because I know that hill and how slowly I climb it, he had been sitting a very respectful distance behind me from the lights, and didn't even bother trying to pass on the widened bit before the speedbump.

I was happy (as usual when on two wheels) and thought I'd let him through, same with the silver car half way up. Again you can't see me do it but I signalled that I was going to pull in, and waved her through.

The sitting far to the right thing must be harking to riding my motorbike, as it is far enough over so that I am not in the drivers blindspot, I am directly in their mirror. It also gives the best forward visibility over the slow moving traffic.

When I did it behind the Lotus before going round the RAB, I was actually hanging onto the raillings so that I didn't have to unclip.

It is something to think about though, as my legs don't quite have the pull off the line that 400cc's of finely tuned Honda V4 do!! Thanks for pointing it out.

It's not a major point, I've just had occasions in the past where people have tried sneaking up the left and if you have some railings to the right of you space could get a bit tight. Of course they shouldn't sneak up the side of you!

It looks less deliberate on the vid than it was, as you can't see me wave him past. I pulled over on purpose because I know that hill and how slowly I climb it, he had been sitting a very respectful distance behind me from the lights, and didn't even bother trying to pass on the widened bit before the speedbump.

I was happy (as usual when on two wheels) and thought I'd let him through, same with the silver car half way up. Again you can't see me do it but I signalled that I was going to pull in, and waved her through.

Fair enough. That's the right thing to do. Because of your generous attitude towards those drivers they are even more likely to treat cyclists well when they next happen across them. I always try to do drivers a favour where I can.

Hills never look as steep on video but you could tell from the change in speed that it was a bit of a work out. In fact if I listen very carefully I'm sure I can hear heavy breathing!!:blush:

Nice cycling!

barq

That looks pretty fast to me and I do know how steep some of the climbs are around Pewley.

In the first video you go past my office around 4m10s. So if you'd panned left at the crucial moment you'd probably have seen my commuter bike. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Jacomus-rides-Gen

Jacomus-rides-Gen

So you work at uni? Whats your commuter bike, I'll keep an eye out for it.

I'm pretty distinctive - I ride an age old black Raleigh with red lugwork and red bar tape, and often leave the pannier on it. I also have a mohawk which makes me a bit more distinctive :biggrin:

barq

Yep, that sounds distinctive. :-) I'll have to look out for a lugged bike - don't see many of them these days.

I'm based in the AC building where I'm supposed to be finishing up my PhD. My commuter is a red/silver Trek 4500 MTB customised to make it less appealing to thieves. I replaced the suspension forks with rigid ones, converted to singlespeed and added anti-fashion mud guards. I've got semi-slick tyres on it so I can do the occasional off-road detour on the way home. Luckily I get to park it within clear sight of my office window so it's in my field of gaze all day. That said I do walk in some days (especially if rainy) so it isn't always there.

Top Bottom