My upcoming adventure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SeanNW6

Hello all

Just made the decision to leave the job which I've not been happy in for some months.

Am leaving in a week, and don't have a new job lined up.
Work in the field of design, live in central london and have the option of freelancing for a while, before I decide what I want to do in the long term.

In the short term, going to have a few weeks off and have made the foolhardy/inspirational/daft challenge to ride Land's End to JOG.
I adore my commute to work each day, which lasts 30 mins or so. What a glorious morning today and I can just picture myself cycling through Cornwall's villages on such a morning.
But have done no research, little training. Plan just to rock up at Lands End, with my decent hybrid bike and a credit card, and head North.
Anyone fancy my chances of making it......!??!!

Any advice/warnings would be much appreciated.

H

MickyMickster

Sounds great,Good luck to you.

snorri

Legendary Member
But have done no research, little training. Plan just to rock up at Lands End, with my decent hybrid bike and a credit card, and head North.
Anyone fancy my chances of making it......!??!!
Any advice/warnings would be much appreciated.

I like your style, planning is for wimps.
Chance of completion? 100%, you'll probably cycle home too.
Warnings. Don't let the hilly nature of Cornwall get you down, you will soon be in more cycle friendly country.
Advice. Take a puncture repair kit, and don't be like so many others who complain that John O'Groats is a dump, it's nothing special, but take a run out to Duncansby Head lighthouse and enjoy the cliff scenery, the bird life, and the peace, before returning south,........... unless you carry on north to Orkney(:idea:) .
Good Luck, enjoy^_^

OP
OP
S

SeanNW6

Great, thanks for the replies.
Is a little reckless, but am hardly cycling through the sahara.....;)

nope it is not reckless.
screw planning and go and have yourself an adventure. more people should. you will find out how well you can cope and you will learn far more from it that sitting all day every day planning & mapping out what you will/should be doing each and everyday. you will learn not to feel guilty for taking a day out to enjoy yourself/rest/wash/eat or just talk, but keep in mind a long term goal, something to keep you going so you don't get stagnant. keep a journal - it is amazing how often you will sit back and think, I was here, here, here or there... and it helps you remember the little things, the things that make you smile and remember... 2 years ago today, I was sitting on a campsite in germany in very hot weather, wearing not much having just 'smuggled' my husband into the ladies showers.... (not difficult since we were the only campers in the only tent area - but it is memories that make it what it was and no, that bit is not in my journal! and yes we were nearly caught by the cleaner....:whistle:)

theloafer

Legendary Member
hi Sean
you go for it mate you will enjoy the trip ^_^.. have done it twice and hoping for a third in 2 years time :ohmy: one thing I would say don't think of it as a 1000 mile trip ....more as a 17+ day ride,s just one after the other :thumbsup: .....also if you not pushed for time why not try and fit in cape wrath :whistle:... also great info here
http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/

Top Bottom