My Vintage Ammaco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VintageRuby

Clinging on for dear life.
This is Ruby, my gorgeous vintage Ammaco, that i got from freecycle, she is roughly 25yrs old and the only things i've had to replace so far (i've had her a year) was the saddle as the rails(?) were damaged, and the handlebars as i couldn't get to grips with the drops that she originally came with, and soon the rear tyre will need replacing as it is on it's last legs, though i have a feeling i'm going to struggle finding a replacement on a budget as the tyres are 24x1 1/4 inch, more internet trawling is needed i think

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

Also, when i first got her i looked up the brand and the general consensus was that Ammaco bikes are cheap tat and super heavy, which is certainly not true in my case, Ruby is as light as air and has lasted pretty well so far!

dim

Ruby is as light as air and has lasted pretty well so far!

sounds like Helen (my wife) .... she's lasted ages (feels like 100 years since we got married) ... not as light as air (she has got a bit heavier in her golden years) and she is a little temperamental at times , but she has lasted pretty well so far :becool:

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

sounds like Helen (my wife) .... she's lasted ages (feels like 100 years since we got married) ... not as light as air (she has got a bit heavier in her golden years) and she is a little temperamental at times , but she has lasted pretty well so far :becool:
Poor wife! Haha bless her :smile:

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hope you're not tempted to trade her in for a more up to date model.

Reactions: dim
Also, when i first got her i looked up the brand and the general consensus was that Ammaco bikes are cheap tat and super heavy, which is certainly not true in my case, Ruby is as light as air and has lasted pretty well so far!
:smile: in comparison to a modern hybrid with suspension and big knobbly tyres it's a lightweight! I've just serviced a friend's very basic girls hybrid from early 90s and it must weigh 10kg less than my wife's carrera! Also, despite being in her shed for about 15 years the grease on the seat tube was still fine and the shimano gears indexed perfectly! They definitely made even the cheap bikes better in the 20th century :smile:

OP
OP
VintageRuby

VintageRuby

:smile: in comparison to a modern hybrid with suspension and big knobbly tyres it's a lightweight! I've just serviced a friend's very basic girls hybrid from early 90s and it must weigh 10kg less than my wife's carrera! Also, despite being in her shed for about 15 years the grease on the seat tube was still fine and the shimano gears indexed perfectly! They definitely made even the cheap bikes better in the 20th century :smile:
They certainly did! My gears are perfect too, especially considering they're on the bottom tube (which was fun, figuring out how to ride, balance and lean down to change gear all at once)
I don't think my bike even weighs 10kg,I've carried home a 5kg bag of potatoes that feel heavier lol
I was fiddling with the brakes with a friend the other day, took them off the bike entirely and the threads were immaculate and so shiny they looked brand new even though they were the originals!

Top Bottom