My wife is going downhill slowly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My wife has finally succumbed to the dark side and has taken up cycling after watching me and the kids go out commuting, sportiving, racing and generally mucking about on bikes for the last 7 years. Both the kids have left the nest and she has decided to set herself a goal, the Welsh Velothon long route ( 75 miles) she has signed up so no going back. She is quite fit for her age ( late forties) so dont think the mileage is going to be a problem. We have gone out only 5 times on the weekend and got her up to 26 miles so far and onto clipless pedals. However as soon as the road starts to point downwards she is on the brakes and limiting herself to around 12mph. On the flat and uphill she will quite happily go a lot faster. I am hoping she will get more confident and the problem will go away. She is not so sure and is considering hypnosis. Slow downhill with just the two of us is not a problem , however I know from speeding along in large groups a rider slamming on the brakes too eagerly downhill is likely to end in grief for everyone. Anyone else have the same problem with thier other half of a similar age and did it get better with time or have any tricks to boost confidence or tried hypnosis?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Plenty of practice.

ScotiaLass

Guru
My wife has finally succumbed to the dark side and has taken up cycling after watching me and the kids go out commuting, sportiving, racing and generally mucking about on bikes for the last 7 years. Both the kids have left the nest and she has decided to set herself a goal, the Welsh Velothon long route ( 75 miles) she has signed up so no going back. She is quite fit for her age ( late forties) so dont think the mileage is going to be a problem. We have gone out only 5 times on the weekend and got her up to 26 miles so far and onto clipless pedals. However as soon as the road starts to point downwards she is on the brakes and limiting herself to around 12mph. On the flat and uphill she will quite happily go a lot faster. I am hoping she will get more confident and the problem will go away. She is not so sure and is considering hypnosis. Slow downhill with just the two of us is not a problem , however I know from speeding along in large groups a rider slamming on the brakes too eagerly downhill is likely to end in grief for everyone. Anyone else have the same problem with thier other half of a similar age and did it get better with time or have any tricks to boost confidence or tried hypnosis?
Well done Mrs HarryTheDog!
I ride a MTB and was petrified of going downhill - I know! - a year later (and aged 50), I can bomb through woods and downhill at 15-20mph quite happily.
It doesn't sound a lot but I rarely got over 10mph, whether down a hill or not!
I know it's not the same as large group riding, but I am sure she will gain confidence. The trick is to keep practicing and relax.
I used to grip the bars like I was on a ride at Alton Towers! I've now learned to relax (and practiced it), not just physically, but mentally, too!
I am sure she will get the hang of it soon!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It wouldn't actually be a "problem" unless she was aiming for a quick time! :whistle:

I am constantly surprised how nervous many cyclists are on descents. I get dropped on climbs by most CycleChatters on my forum rides, but then steam past them on the downhills.

I am generally a very nervous kind of person but I don't have any problem up to about 50 mph. (I do start to get a bit worried as speed gets closer to 60 mph though!)

The question to ask is why she feels the need to go slower on a downhill than she does on the flat? Maybe she is worried that her speed will build up too quickly and that she will lose control? She needs to develop a feel for progressive braking so she is confident that she won't suddenly have to panic brake and risk launching herself over the bars. The other thing I would suggest is to teach her about pushing down hard on the outside pedal on downhill bends so she can corner better.

She hasn't been riding long and will probably relax as she gets more used to it. I was definitely a lot more cautious when I first started riding again as an adult.

She has made a good start and will just get better and better!

vickster

Legendary Member
What bike is she riding? If a road bike, fit her some cross levers, I for one am much more confident down hill on the bike that has these, than the bike that doesn't. Less stress on the hands too, especially if reaching from the hoods

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Let her go at her own pace...
She will either get more confident or will still be happy to descend at her own pace.
Good on her being out with the family..

I wouldn't push her into doing anything she didn't want, it may have the opposite effect.

dawn72

It wouldn't actually be a "problem" unless she was aiming for a quick time! :whistle:

I am constantly surprised how nervous many cyclists are on descents. I get dropped on climbs by most CycleChatters on my forum rides, but then steam past them on the downhills.

I am generally a very nervous kind of person but I don't have any problem up to about 50 mph. (I do start to get a bit worried as speed gets closer to 60 mph though!)

The question to ask is why she feels the need to go slower on a downhill than she does on the flat? Maybe she is worried that her speed will build up too quickly and that she will lose control? She needs to develop a feel for progressive braking so she is confident that she won't suddenly have to panic brake and risk launching herself over the bars. The other thing I would suggest is to teach her about pushing down hard on the outside pedal on downhill bends so she can corner better.

She hasn't been riding long and will probably relax as she gets more used to it. I was definitely a lot more cautious when I first started riding again as an adult.

She has made a good start and will just get better and better!

I'm exactly like this too for the very reason that colin has mentioned above. - I worry about the build up if speed and ending up out of control. I have gotten slightly better as my confidence has grown but being a natural worrier doesn't help

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Never had a problem going downhill. The trick is to look well ahead so you can see if the road is clear. My problem is going uphill, then I am slower than slow. Congratulations to your wife for taking up cycling and best of luck for entering a 75 mile sportive. I know I couldn't do it as my longest ride so far is 51 miles.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could get a tandem, although the screams of terror might be a little offputting :smile:
The scariest descending that I have ever witnessed was a couple on a tandem on my Settle forum ride about 3 years ago. We were doing a very fast descent to Garsdale Head and I overtook a few other riders, me doing over 45 mph, when suddenly the crazy tandemists shot past doing what must have been close to 60 mph because they rapidly dropped me! :eek:

Effyb4

Veteran
I am terrified of going downhill and don't go faster than 20 mph. I can reach this speed on slight declines as well and am much happier than on faster descents. I think it is a fear of losing control. I frequently ride in a group and have done a mass participation ride without a problem, having said this, I don't slam on the brakes. You'll find most people will just go round her.

Top Bottom