My £35 Retro MTB...Raleigh M-Trax 150 Comp

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sniped this on eBay a while ago for £35 with a broken spoke and cabbaged wheel bearings. Not the tidiest, a few battle scars on the frame but it's only the cheapie version of the M-Trax.

Bought it with a view to breaking for parts, or for servicing and reselling but the scratches and rust spots kill the resale value..then I remembered my same-period Exage/Campag Stheno wheelset that was sitting unused, so stripped it and rebuilt it, swapping over the horrid OE Sachs gripshift for similar period STX Rapidfire+ shifters.

The Velociraptors also seemed an apt period trye to dress the wheels with, and just happened to be sat in my store of assorted bits

It's quite a nimble wee beastie, must take it out into the peak district soon for a blast. Will also be a handy winter commuter when the snow arrives.

M-Trax.jpg

Stheno.jpg

Old wheelset but still a little bit of life left in it..

Alivio.jpg

Battle scars from an uncared-for life. Never mind, you're safe in rescue home for abused bikes now..

RSP.jpg

Stem came up quite nicely with some Autosol

Rust.jpg

Must do something with this...not sure what this is from, maybe a horrible band-on bottle cage? Jenolite applied just for the moment

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Awesome looking franken-bike, love those tyres, and saved the thing from going to the scrap heap in the sky! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom