Mystery Bicycle, 50's Hurrlow Mal Rees?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some very interesting details :smile:
It has an awful lot of braze-ons for a 50s frame - are you thinking that maybe these were put on later, when it was resprayed, perhaps? I can see why someone would spend money to have it updated, it's a very nice machine!
There's a touch of Flying Scot about those wrapover seat stays

Reactions: KEW

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It has an awful lot of braze-ons for a 50s frame - are you thinking that maybe these were put on later, when it was resprayed, perhaps? I can see why someone would spend money to have it updated, it's a very nice machine!

lugs and wrap over are very similar in style and age to my Dunelt returns

Just my twopence worth.....
I've never seen a hurlow frame with wrap over seat stays, but that's not to say there haven't been any! Bill gray, who used to work at claud butler used the wrap over extensively.....which led me to look for George Stratton frames, who he built for after (as well as others). The frame number is similar to his too, but his was normally 3 numbers, followed by 3 numbers....
Anyway, I found this Stratton cyclocross frame that has a lot of similarities to yours, including a lot of the same braze ons.
http://claud-butler.blogspot.co.uk

I might be wrong, but it's a start for your research!

lugs and wrap over are very similar in style and age to my Dunelt returns

Just my twopence worth.....
I've never seen a hurlow frame with wrap over seat stays, but that's not to say there haven't been any! Bill gray, who used to work at claud butler used the wrap over extensively.....
Anyway, I found this Stratton cyclocross frame that has a lot of similarities to yours, including a lot of the same braze ons.
http://claud-butler.blogspot.co.uk

I might be wrong, but it's a start for your research!
interesting stuff

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

Thanks for all these suggestions guys, some great places to start investigations. I'll begin my research with all this in mind, I'll let you know if I find anything interesting out have any questions. In the mean time if anyone has any more ideas as to what it could be that'd always be great to hear.

In particular any more ideas about the serial number would be great. I'll look into Stratton bikes as stedlocks suggested, but that wasn't quite a perfect match. Do you think the 57 in 579 means 1957? Because lots of the gear on the bike (the gear I originally listed rather than what's currently on the frame on the pictures) is from the mid to late '50s. Or perhaps the 14 could be the year of production from the start date of that system. Or the number 14 could be a registry for a certain builder under a company name; I believe mal rees did this although I haven't seen example serial numbers so I do not know if they also had this 14 above the second number. If anyone had a 50s - 60s mal rees I'd be very interested to know the serial number.

As to the braze ons. I have a feeling they are original. They seem to match the campagnolo gear that was on the frame (particularly the eyelets for the thumb shifters). I don't think when it was resprayed they went to the effort of putting new braze ons on; this is because the paint job, although attractive, is not the best sort for a bike, it comes off rather easily. I would think that if they had gone to the effort of brazing they would have done a top quality paint job. I think rather than the brazings being done later I think the bike was built in the late 50s in response to some of the new designs of gear from campagnolo that came out right around then, but I realise that that would make the bike seem a bit ahead of its time so I'm not sure what really happened, that's just my thoughts.

That is a very nice bike and it has a few features that are similar to what I was told was a Maurice Woodrup. The curved brake bridge mounting with the diamond shaped fillets are similar to what I have on mine. My seat stays aren't completely wrap over but finish in points near the top.
Could you look on the inside of the top of the front forks where they meet? Mine have small shield shaped lugs fitted on the inside.
It's exasperating when there are no proper means of identification.

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

That is a very nice bike and it has a few features that are similar to what I was told was a Maurice Woodrup. The curved brake bridge mounting with the diamond shaped fillets are similar to what I have on mine. My seat stays aren't completely wrap over but finish in points near the top.
Could you look on the inside of the top of the front forks where they meet? Mine have small shield shaped lugs fitted on the inside.

I rather enjoy the hunt usually, but I simply haven't managed to get very far with this frame which is tiring yes.

When you say the 'inside of the top of the forks where they meet', do you mean where the forks enter the crown on the inside? I shall certainly give that a check when I'm back home. How old is your Woodrup? Is it a similar age to what mine might be? Also does yours have a serial number, if so could I ask what format it is? Cheers.

I rather enjoy the hunt usually, but I simply haven't managed to get very far with this frame which is tiring yes.

When you say the 'inside of the top of the forks where they meet', do you mean where the forks enter the crown on the inside? I shall certainly give that a check when I'm back home. How old is your Woodrup? Is it a similar age to what mine might be? Also does yours have a serial number, if so could I ask what format it is? Cheers.
I was told that it was a1963 Maurice Woodrup but I haven't been able to get much further at the moment. As for the top inside of the forks Yes. It is as if they have continued the outside decoration but have left it plain. It is the first time I've seen it and also the chap who sold it to me, he pointed it out as I was looking at it.
As for frame numbers all I can find is a letter F on the bottom bracket. I removed the paint just in case it was hidden but still no numbers, likewise for the fork stem, nothing.

OP
OP
KEW

KEW

I was told that it was a1963 Maurice Woodrup but I haven't been able to get much further at the moment. As for the top inside of the forks Yes. It is as if they have continued the outside decoration but have left it plain. It is the first time I've seen it and also the chap who sold it to me, he pointed it out as I was looking at it.
As for frame numbers all I can find is a letter F on the bottom bracket. I removed the paint just in case it was hidden but still no numbers, likewise for the fork stem, nothing.

Thanks for that. I'll get back to you about the crown when I check.

Here are a couple of pics of my frame with slender rear stays.

Attachments

• IMGP3122.JPG
    IMGP3122.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMGP3118.JPG
    IMGP3118.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMGP3120.JPG
    IMGP3120.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 57
OP
OP
KEW

KEW

I have checked the inside of the fork crown (just very roughly, I have been very busy and haven't taken off the mudguards etc. so can't see fully) I believe I see there is a little bit of a design in there. I'll get the guards off and post some pics when I can.

Top Bottom