Mystery Elswick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob H

Eat, Sleep, Climb, Repeat
Hi ive impulse bought this for a club ride.

This may be a big ask but could anyone shed light on the model?

upload_2015-10-12_14-10-12.png

mikeymustard

Veteran
going by the rake of those forks and the gorgeous crank, it looks pretty old - even 50s maybe? There's enough tyre clearance to make a cyclocross bike out of that!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've done a bit of poking around. That chainwheel is quite distinctive (to me at least). The same chainwheel was (sometimes) fitted to the Elswick Whirlwind (do a search for images) which was from the 70s. Of course, it could have been a standard chainwheel that was common as muck throughout the 60s and 70s for all I know, in which case this info may not be much use.

If it is from the 70s then the absence of suicide levers could be of interest, making it early 70s.

OP
OP
Rob H

Rob H

That's great, thank you!

OP
OP
Rob H

Rob H

I've done a bit of poking around. That chainwheel is quite distinctive (to me at least). The same chainwheel was (sometimes) fitted to the Elswick Whirlwind (do a search for images) which was from the 70s. Of course, it could have been a standard chainwheel that was common as muck throughout the 60s and 70s for all I know, in which case this info may not be much use.

If it is from the 70s then the absence of suicide levers could be of interest, making it early 70s.

It also has weinmann brakes if that means anything

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Guess who's got too much time on his hands?

I was wondering if you could date it from the stem. Older GB stems seem to look like the one on your bike, with the horizontal bit continuing past the steerer, rather than being smoothed off at the top. Maybe it's a GB Spearpoint stem?

I think a combination of the shape of the rear dropouts, that unusual chainwheel, the stem, anything stamped on the hubs or brakes, plus of course the frame number (see here for a guide to Elswick Hopper frame numbering) should sort things out.

Now, a life. I must get one.

Top Bottom