Mystery Peugeot PR-10?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lurcher106

Hi all,

Recently picked up a rusty Peugeot on gumtree for £50 and would like to know how much is worth spending on it. I've been looking through catalogues and other posts and none of the other bikes match this one in each detail of the frame.

The chances are it's about 1972, as the Peugeot logo on the downtube stopped being used after about '76. It has Reynolds 531 fork as well as main triangle, with half chromed forks and rear triangle. The fork crown lugs are more decorative than most and have a line of chrome through them.

The main triangle lugs are black at the headset but plain compared to the forks, and the main distinction from other bikes is the small tube which attaches the rear triangle to just beneath the saddle post is white, whereas on most PX-10 or PR-10 models it's painted black or tri-colour.

Even stranger is the almost all shimano 600 groupset, evidence of centre-pull brakes, unbranded crank levers, and inexplicable Campagnolo front derailleur with simplex shifters.

Any help here much appreciated.

Also, any way to straighten out the bent handlebars?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Depends how far you want to take the restoration. Do you want a “rustoration” or a back to metal and respray? The latter is going to be expensive but it’s a quality frame, only you know if it’s worth it.
its old enough for the components to be been swapped out over the years which would account for the odd mix.
Have a look at this full resto, but with modern gear (I know but contains some useful info on French standards), or his rustoration by Monkeyshred:

View: https://youtu.be/P9nALYF2RHs

View: https://youtu.be/ZevADI6Bx7w

You can’t straighten the bars but replacement ones are cheap.
Thats a big old frame, I’m guessing you’re six foot plus?

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lurcher106

Hi there, thanks for the warm welcome! Monkeyshred's videos are actually what gave me the confidence to try a restoration for myself. I like the idea of having a little bit of patina on the bike frame so have settled on removing the rust and touching in the worst of the damage on the paint with enamel paint.

It would certainly be nice have some more of the original features of the bike so that's why I'm so curious to know what parts are and aren't!

Fin

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You may never know what the original parts were, I can guess the brakes may have been Mafac but for the rest could have been anything that was french. I should just restore it as is and enjoy it.

Top Bottom