N+1 - Custom build, off the peg and retrofit...or...something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I'm trying to work out what's the best way to buy a new bike. I know my budget is c. £3k, and know I'll want a proper measurement set up to ensure the bike fits. Beyond that discs and 105, and space to run some fatter tyres than the 25s I'm on. Probably looking at a summer bike and retiring the current steed to be winter warrior.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if it's worth going for a custom build or going off the peg? I recently realised my current bike was sold as having 105 on it, but actually as I was somewhat niavely unaware the only 105 components on the bike were the cassette and derailleur. The cranks were Sram, brakes were unbranded and not sure about chainrings.

Given I know I don't need or want Di2 or anything higher than the 105 agai, is it better to find a decent frame, order 105 and the wheels and get the bike fit done ahead of ordering, or still go off the peg and make sure the shop aren't shanking me on the groupset?

Gunk

Guru
I build a lot of bikes and It’s much more economical to buy a complete bike off the shelf. New or used it’s always cheaper.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I always go for what I think you mean by a "custom" build. I discuss my objectives with my LBS who then suggest frame, group set, wheels etc. This will cost me the same or thereabouts as an off the peg bike. The main variation on cost would be wheels. Being able to do this relies, to a large extent, on being a regular customer with the same LBS.

If you don't have this relationship with an LBS off the peg will always be cheaper than custom build. In normal circumstances you would likely be able to find whatever you need.

Currently, perhaps for a year or more, you'll just have to take what you can find and that is likely to be very limited.

I build a lot of bikes and It’s much more economical to buy a complete bike off the shelf. New or used it’s always cheaper.
undoubtedly true I think, though more of a problem these days - the base new bike you want to adapt will probably be further from what you want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Be cheaper to buy a ready made bike.
Have you looked at Pearson’s?
I haven't looked at all other than to drool at the Orbea paint options

Top Bottom