n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Downward said:
Easier to shed the weight off your body i reckon

It depends how fat you are. I am 11 st 12 lb and have lost pretty much a stone in the last year. I think I can lose about 5-6lb before getting to my optimum weight. My Ribble is 23lb and I think I can skim 4-5lb of this with the Kinesis. At that point, there is not much more can be done, and it is all down to fitness and strength.

The handling difference between by good summer bike and the Ribble is noticeable. Acceleration and the ease in getting it up a hill with the group is marked.

Greenbank

Über Member
magnatom said:
That's true, but it means, now that I know what a good bike feels like, that I no longer enjoy riding my hybrid. I want to enjoy my commutes.

Whether or not I enjoy the commute is more down to the weather than the bike, or even my state of mind. I've had some great commutes and some horrible ones, all on the same bike.

If your using your bad weather bike then it's more likely going to be bad weather.

I avoid this problem by using the same mudguard clad bike for commuting all year round.

Using the summer bike is a special occasion or when I'm extending my 12km commute to 50km (or even 100km) by starting at 5am and finding some proper hills.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
magnatom said:
Aye, this is what I am thinking, but I'm no bike expert and I'm not sure I could tell the good 'uns from the bad 'uns.

You need to keep your eyes out for possibilities, then google them.

This, for one example round your way, is nothing special, but I bet it would be a way better ride than your brick - pretty much thief proof too. But two major 'buts' to getting a bike this way: make sure you know what frame size you need, and only do it if you're reasonably handy with a spanner. You're not going to get a cheap old bike that won't need some work - tho' not a great deal, with any luck. But if you can't adjust brakes and saddle height and run oil down cable housings, it may not be the option for you.

Plax

Guru
I have the exact same feeling now and then. I've resisted so far as there really isn't much need for me to replace my existing hybrid. Was out on it today actually and it made me realise how much I missed cycling in the rain, and I really enjoyed my commute in. On the way home it had stopped raining and I went back to not liking it so much, it makes cycling up hills in the wind so much harder!

therams

Greenbank said:
Stick with the heavy commuter, it'll make riding lighter weekend/summer bikes even more enjoyable.

(He says, contemplating updating his commuting frame to titanium...)

Funny you say that, I am actually thinking about stopping commuting on the Allez and going back to the old heavy Trek MTB. Save the fast bike for the weekend.

Now I am fitter I find that to get a good workout I am flying through the Manchester streets at 18+ mph, I have had far to many near misses at the higher speed. Switching back to the MTB, same effort = 15mph = safer.

But then as mags says its all about enjoyment:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Watch out therams - I'm the nutter on a blue Diamond Back doing 20-23 mph on the now knobby MTB........

I hear what you say about road bikes - you are soooo much more in the poo with the speed, but the advantage is you can chase the offenders down easily..... try maintaining 30 on a MTB.....:sad:

I'll be on a fixed road bike shortly, so it's speed limited as my legs don't go over about 120 rpm at the moment.......:blush::blush:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
magnatom said:
Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

It happened on the cycle in today. I was on the old 10 tonne hybrid as it was wet today. I decided about 3 minutes into the commute that I really don't like the hybrid any more. I don't enjoy cycling it. It's too heavy, too unresponsive, just too much like a mobile brick. Oh dear.

However, it was the next thought popping into my head that has really worried me.....hmmmm, what about a new bike...

Wait a minute! What's that? A NEW BIKE!? I've already got two, the hybrid and my Kinesis go faster (TM) bike. Why another? Then my brain tries to apply reason and logic...

You see, magnatom, your go faster is your good weather commute/ long distance beastie. You love riding it, but you want to keep it in good nick. You hate the hybrid, soooo, why not get a second hand go faster alike bike (TM) that is as similar as possible for as cheap as possible that you could ride in the crap weather....

Damn. I can't fault the logic. Oh dear! :biggrin::smile:

Kona Jake, whack on some aksiums and you can ride like me. :sad::blush:

therams

fossyant said:
Watch out therams - I'm the nutter on a blue Diamond Back doing 20-23 mph on the now knobby MTB........

I have seen your type, fitter, younger (i hope) and faster than me, even when I am going flat out! Always on an old MTB, with a brown chain!

If I was 5 years younger, then.....

Ohh wait I was a lard arse back then:biggrin:

therams said:
Funny you say that, I am actually thinking about stopping commuting on the Allez and going back to the old heavy Trek MTB. Save the fast bike for the weekend.

Now I am fitter I find that to get a good workout I am flying through the Manchester streets at 18+ mph, I have had far to many near misses at the higher speed. Switching back to the MTB, same effort = 15mph = safer.

But then as mags says its all about enjoyment:biggrin:
My commute is short so I like to do it on the more rugged heavy hybrid as I feel it gives me a better work out, moves at a safer pace, I prefer the upright position in traffic and I've no issues with security if I suddenly get called to the pub :sad: Also as suggested it makes me appreciate the road bikes more.

therams

The problem is how do I tell my wife that the bike that I had to spend £700 on in January, is only good for the weekends. And I am now going to ride to work on the one that it replaced. :sad:

I think an analogy with shoes is the only way...:smile:

Top Bottom