n+1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Life is too short to ride a brick. With a bit of homework and a bit of patience, you can get a good bike off ebay for under £100 - surely even 'er indores couldn't baulk at that?

bonj2

HLaB said:
I know how you feel Maggers. I've got the superlite Bianchi (summer bike), the suped up Sirrus (new wheels, convereted to drops) (winter bike) and the heavy wide tyred hybrid (commuter). I went out on Tuesday night with the club as I had to take the bike into work beforehand I did it on the Sirrus however with slipping gears it really struggled on the club run (over 19.6mph average for the 40miles) at some point on that I decided I needed n+1, with the Kinesis (racelight tk) being my favoured option and I could get it through cycle to work. I went to a lbs only to find out that they discover Kinesis aren't shipping them until August :biggrin: Maybe I'll just have to tart up the Sirrus more (23mm tyres /Carbon Forks/ new shifters/ money, money)

I've also an inkling towards a fixie but I think I enjoy my hills too much.
what you need is a 'spring/autumn bike' :ohmy:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

[quote name='swee'pea99']Life is too short to ride a brick. With a bit of homework and a bit of patience, you can get a good bike off ebay for under £100 - surely even 'er indores couldn't baulk at that?[/quote]

Aye, this is what I am thinking, but I'm no bike expert and I'm not sure I could tell the good 'uns from the bad 'uns.

gavintc

Guru
HLaB said:
I know how you feel Maggers. I've got the superlite Bianchi (summer bike), the suped up Sirrus (new wheels, convereted to drops) (winter bike) and the heavy wide tyred hybrid (commuter). I went out on Tuesday night with the club as I had to take the bike into work beforehand I did it on the Sirrus however with slipping gears it really struggled on the club run (over 19.6mph average for the 40miles) at some point on that I decided I needed n+1, with the Kinesis (racelight tk) being my favoured option and I could get it through cycle to work. I went to a lbs only to find out that they discover Kinesis aren't shipping them until August :ohmy: Maybe I'll just have to tart up the Sirrus more (23mm tyres /Carbon Forks/ new shifters/ money, money)

I've also an inkling towards a fixie but I think I enjoy my hills too much.

Mags and I both bought our Kinesis from Bilsland in Glasgow. He is a 'premier' dealer and can get the frame in 3 - 4 weeks. He has also given me an excellent price, certainly, much cheaper than any of the Edinburgh dealers could manage. Mine arrives on 22 May and will get built up during the following week.

I have reduced the hit on the wallet buy using the bits from old Ribble. I have lots of old groupset bits and some old wheels in the attic and my summer project will be to get the Ribble running again with old bits and pieces. I may sell it as I can only really fit 4 bikes in the flat.

I also note that there is a new 57cm TK on e-bay at the moment - 3 days left till it ends. I wish it was on 10 days - but that is life.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I could have ridden my old Carrera Vulcan to work today since the SCR2 was out of action, but I just couldn't face riding a bike that doesn't respond like lightening and which will take off like a shot when you put the power on.

I'd quite like a light hybrid as a backup bike instead of the Vulcan, but thankfully temptation has been avoided as the next Bike2Work renewal is next April :smile:

I have, however, ridden my 'good' bike through all weathers since last April. I'm not quite as precious as Maggers is with his new steed. :evil: I think it's replacing Mrs M in his affections. :becool::biggrin::biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Downward said:
How heavy is your hybrid mags ?

Very! Actually I don't know the exact figure, I need to weigh it. It's a Ridgeback Cyclone with Marathon Plus Tyres (26x1.75). The tyres probably don't help, but I don't think downsizing them would make a huge difference. The 2008 version is 12.4 kilos, with the tyres it comes with. Mine is a 2005 version, so probably heavier than that, and extra with the tyres

Downward

Guru
Interesting to see how light these lightweight hybrids are then as your Ridgback sounds only a couple of lbs heavier than most of the current hybrids around at circa £500

Anyone know the detials on these lightweight hybrids ?

Edit
You can get ones for £1k ish which weigh 18lbs

Greenbank

Über Member
Stick with the heavy commuter, it'll make riding lighter weekend/summer bikes even more enjoyable.

(He says, contemplating updating his commuting frame to titanium...)

Downward

Guru
Greenbank said:
Stick with the heavy commuter, it'll make riding lighter weekend/summer bikes even more enjoyable.

Easier to shed the weight off your body i reckon

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Greenbank said:

That's true, but it means, now that I know what a good bike feels like, that I no longer enjoy riding my hybrid. I want to enjoy my commutes.

Greenbank

Über Member
Downward said:
Easier to shed the weight off your body i reckon

True, but that doesn't have as much effect as losing weight off the bike.

5kg of stuff in panniers on the bike is much harder work than 5kg in a rucksack. The latter feels much easier as the extra weight is supported by your legs.

Top Bottom