N+2;Trek hybrid conversion-Done!(just about)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Decided to properly look in to converting my old Trek fx hybrid from heavy suspension forked lump to sllck(ish) commuter.

Will get something like Surly 1x1 forks with drop bars and go for a single chainring;current rear mech is a long cage Sram X9(think it's an X9) so presume it may be a pain getting road shifters to work properly.

First problem has been finding the current triple chainset is one-piece so can't be converted so will be probably heading for the tip as the teeth are what you might call knackered.So a cheap alternative will have to be found.

Have wheels,bars and stems kicking around but will still need some cantis/v-brakes as the frame can't take discs(did try an adapter but it never seemed right) and I'm using the old wheels to keep costs down.

So so far all I've done is strip and measure the frame so I can get a better idea of what I'll need,so this is how it looks now;

DSC_0079.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You may need a longer set of forks or the frame geometry will be wrong, conversion forks used to be available.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
New forks to try as I've been lent some unused Pompino forks to try,they are shorter than I was looking at but if they don't work I won't have lost anything;had a quick play yesterday with some road forks and I think the Pompi's will be ok,it's only for short hops so the geo is not that important really.
Going for flat bars now and got some Selcofs from Planet X for a measly £5 so will cut these down to a narrow width to make it less bulky on trains;also got an old Stronglight chainset converted to a single chainring so that's another thing I don't have to buy.
If all goes to plan will be looking at around £50 for the re-build.

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Quick dry fit of the forks last night and think they'll be ok;think it looks pretty good really for a cheap lash-up(obv Zondas won't be part of the final build).
Just need a new gear cable,some bits for the brakes and a star nut and that should be it.

DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0017.jpg
DSC_0018.jpg
DSC_0021.jpg

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Finally got this ride-able now and although there are a few things to sort out it's as done as it needs to be.

Had an issue with the head-set which was basically knackered(as in ball bearings falling out of a rusted cage!) so had to get a new FSA one and it really needs a new chain to work with the ss kit I have(can't get the current one to the right length)but I'll sort that out after the winter when it won't be needed as much.

So here's a current pic;

DSC_0012.jpg

As it's only a commute from home to train station and then to work it's perfect for that,might even htfu and try a 20+ mile commute on it.
Final spec is;

Trek 7300 FX frame
On-One forks
FSA Orbit headset
DMR pulley(and eventually ss cassette conversion)
Stronglight chain-set
Matrix/Deore wheels
Bontrager tyres(will be changed to Vittoria randonneurs)
XLC stem
Selcof bars
Pro-max brakes
Gravity stem with Hope clamp
San Marco Ponza saddle
Wellgo pedals
SKS mudguards

Top Bottom