n00b DIY chapter 7...just HOW wrong can you get chain replacement!...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Widge

Baldy Go
So WHY does the chain break 10 miles into a ride rather than just as you're leaving or arriving back?!
My Triban3 chain sprang its 'quick-link' into the verge (forever lost!) BUT a nice beardy bloke stopped his car as I was looking forlorn and offered to to load me up and drive me back home! :thumbsup: Wow!...my faith in human nature increased tenfold. Thanks 'Klaus' wherever you are!

So I drove to my nearest (rather expensive) bike emporium for a new chain. Maybe just a new spring link? No...the resident mech informed me.....my chain was worn (I've done about 500 miles on the original Triban chain from new) so a new one would be a good thing.

Hhhhm so...........18 quid lighter I took home a new chain. Theaded it up. Popped it together with a new spring-link and discovered I had threaded it through the rear deraillleur wrongly so it was running OUTSIDE of a guide lug on the cage. Could I disassemble the spring-link? :gun:

No!

Do the jockey wheels remove easily?

Eerm...No!

So.......out with my multi-tool chain splitter and push out a rivet. Multitool chain-splitter made of cheese and instantly breaks in half!

This 10 minute job is turning into a nightmare.

Eventually I went to a different bike store. Bought a cheaper (better) chain......a pack of 2 quick-links AND a serious 'Park' chain tool and started again. After an afternoons cursing and swearing the chain is fitted and the bike ridden.....except that in the process I have put out all my careful gear adjustment tweaks!

Ggggrrr..............

Have I learnt anything? Yup...but I'm not quite sure what!

w

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
oh dear , easy links are great and easy

Peteaud

Veteran
Quick links come apart easy, when you know how.

You tube is your friend, on anything like this.

(To remove a quick link, squeeze both sides together and wiggle at the same time)

And make sure the chain is the same length as the old one as well :thumbsup:

So WHY does the chain break 10 miles into a ride rather than just as you're leaving or arriving back?!

So I drove to my nearest (rather expensive) bike emporium for a new chain. Maybe just a new spring link? No...the resident mech informed me.....my chain was worn (I've done about 500 miles on the original Triban chain from new) so a new one would be a good thing.
Doubt it was worn at only 500 miles.
Mind think I could do with a new one. Just hoping to get the 9 speed shifters, so I don't have to buy two, close together, so it can wait.

Top Bottom