n00b help

Domestos

New Member
Firstly, greetings :evil:

Well as the thread title may suggest, I'm new and I'm looking for a bike! Would like something that I can take out on the road but also be able to go for a nice ride in the woods with. Would like to spend £200-250, possibly a bit higher for the right bike.

Now, at first I was looking at this becuase, well, it looked good in the shop:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_762357_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

However I have since gathered that both Halfords and Apollo have quite a bad rep, so I'd be appreciative of some advice on what I could get!

I have been to my local bike shops and to be honest, neither could offer me anything that looked particularly good ;)

Thankyou in advance.
 
Hiya,

Are you particularly wanting to go for severe off road. IMO suspension is useless unless you want to do it and a the lower end of the spectrum its just an energy zapper and a extra weight. If you want something in that price range perhaps you could check out their Subway range, they're well reviewed; the only problem you have to deal with Hellfrauds and its Hit or Miss (and a very big Miss) when it comes to staff.
 

shrew

New Member
Location
St Neots , Cambs
welcome Domestos,

at £200-250 is the bracket where you can start moving away from disposable bikes and get something worth riding.

If a bike has duel suspension and is less then £500 new then its probably crap if you pardon my "french", that apollo bike probably weighs more then you and will last about a month before your sick of it.

if you want suspension, look for Front only and a Branded fork, such as rock shox, fox, suntour (although cheap ones can be ropey, if you see one, just google reviews for it).

no suspension is often better then cheap suspension.

give me a mo and ill have a quick glace at sale bikes you might like.
 
OP
D

Domestos

New Member
Thankyou for the replies so far, just what I'm after!

Not going to be doing 'severe' off road no, so perhaps suspension isn't something I need. Front only maybe?

And shrew you're right, I'd like something that's worth riding, don't see the point in buying something cheap only to have it break after not very long
 

shrew

New Member
Location
St Neots , Cambs
ok, after like 5 mins on searching i found http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/4300-2008-mountain-bike-ec001560

as an example, not sure what size you are but a way nicer bike.

look for sale bikes, 2008, 2009 bikes that never sold out and you could realistically get a £400 bike for 250ish.


check out the internet for:

Jejamescycles
Rutland Cycles
Evans cycles

and also check out these stores on E-bay as they often sell there excess bikes on Ebay dirt cheap.
Treks & Giant bikes come up regularly on those offers and the ride difference to that apollo wont compair.
 
Domestos said:
Thankyou for the replies so far, just what I'm after!

Not going to be doing 'severe' off road no, so perhaps suspension isn't something I need. Front only maybe?

And shrew you're right, I'd like something that's worth riding, don't see the point in buying something cheap only to have it break after not very long
Personally I'd avoid suspension but think about what you are using the bike for. If its for transport you want something more efficient than a mtb such as a hybrid. There's a quite good thread in the beginners section which explains the different types of bikes well. From there I'd start looking at individual bikes.
 

shrew

New Member
Location
St Neots , Cambs
Check this out, its from Rutland Cycles e-bay store, looks really nice to me and a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAWES-XC-1-6-...d=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item5887aa4961

might be pushing the budget though at 290, but a good example of what you can get for your money if you shop around,

have anouther good look, Ignore 90% of anything Halfords tell you and come back here with links or more questions )


Edit, this model is £250, from a reputable store, there actually my local bike shop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAWES-XC-1-4-...wItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&var=&hash=item800f06cef1

might want to enquire how much assembley it needs, usually its just the pedels and such, nothing thats tricksy as a rule.
 
OP
D

Domestos

New Member
shrew said:
Check this out, its from Rutland Cycles e-bay store, looks really nice to me and a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAWES-XC-1-6-...d=ViewItem&pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item5887aa4961

might be pushing the budget though at 290, but a good example of what you can get for your money if you shop around,

have anouther good look, Ignore 90% of anything Halfords tell you and come back here with links or more questions )
Cheers.

Saw this on Rutland's website, seems well priced (a good £100 cheaper than this years model). Looks like it's aimed more at road use though.

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/17873/Kona-Smoke-700c-Hybrid-Commuter-Bike.html

There's also these:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/raleigh-chinook-double-disc-mountain-bike-white-id51733.html (half price, apparently)

Those Dawes ones look nice, what am I getting from paying an extra £40 though?

Not bothered about assembly, it would probably be useful to learn all that anyway
 

shrew

New Member
Location
St Neots , Cambs
yeah, although its more of a road ,bike you could like get a suspension fork for £80 and pop it on it.

i personally think sale bikes are easily the best option in your price band, as an average £400 bike with have smoother and stronger components then a £200 bike is likely to have.

by looking at shops like rutland cycles, evans etc, youll start to pick up some base knowelage on bike kit and brands that will help you choose.
 
OP
D

Domestos

New Member
Having done a lot of reading around, I'm leaning towards the Kona.

Good brand, quality, solid frame, plenty of room to upgrade if needs be, can be used for road and light off-road use, excellent value. Looks sleek too ;)
 

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
HLaB said:
Hiya,

Are you particularly wanting to go for severe off road. IMO suspension is useless unless you want to do it and a the lower end of the spectrum its just an energy zapper and a extra weight. If you want something in that price range perhaps you could check out their Subway range, they're well reviewed; the only problem you have to deal with Hellfrauds and its Hit or Miss (and a very big Miss) when it comes to staff.
Beat me to it !
My subway is great 2 winters and still going on strong .

As far as halfords ,well that is what
http://bicycletutor.com/

Is for ;)
 
Top Bottom