Name that noise....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaye

Veteran
I have a Spesh Sirrus sport 2010 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-sport-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020017 with just shy of 200 miles on the clock. I have noticed recently on my daily commute (only 3 miles) that their is a clonking noise coming from (I guess) the bottom bracket its not constant it comes and goes - sometimes its their for 2/3/4 revs of pedals then disappears until next commute. The noise ratio increases/decreases with my cadence. I can also feel the vibration through the pedals. Any advise will be helpful.

Garz

Squat Member
Check tightness and for side play by wiggling the cranks.

I'd start with checking for play. Hold a crank firmly whilst giving the pedal a good heave with the other hand. If that is ok then give the crank arms the similar treatment to see if there is any play in the bottom bracket.

02GF74

Über Member
200 miles - so more or less new? should be the LBS that sold it who should be looking at it.

does sound like the pedals are loose - or else the BB is shot but that would be most unusual on such a low mileage bike.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Ah - sometimes the cranks come loose if not fitted correctly. Waggling the cranks will reveal that if very loose. Does it grumble under load or all the time?

I had a cheapo bike where the tapers on the cranks weren't a good fit on the BB axle. Bloody noisey till I squirted some oil into the gaps (and then they filled up with gunk)

OP
OP
Jaye

Jaye

Veteran
Thanks guys for your responses. I have checked pedals and they are perfectly tight and have pushed and pulled at crank arm and there is no play. Like I say in op the noise/sensation through pedals is not constant and may only occur for a couple of revolutions of the pedals just the 1 time on my commute. The bike is kept in my flat so not exposed to the elements. I have been busy so far this year and what with the crappy weather have only managed a couple of 15-20 mile runs and this was not a problem. The bike itself was delivered to me directly (from I guess Specialized?) but was ordered through c2w through :sad:Halfords.:laugh:

Top Bottom