1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nantes-Brest canal route

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by bike_the_planet, 15 Aug 2007.

1. Anyone cycled the route following the Nantes-Brest canal in NW France? If so, how cyclable is it?

Any info gratefully received?

2. Tim Bennet.

Tim Bennet. Entirely Average Member

The bit I did (20 miles or so in the middle) was a wide, hard, compacted 'dirt' track that was easily rideable on a touring bike with 32c tyres.

3. aberdeenian

aberdeenian New Member

Only did about 40km on it - as the previous poster said, compacted dirt. I was pretty wet when I was on it, so a little bit hard work, but nice to get off the roads for a while.

4. becnal

becnal New Member

So, did you cycle it? I'd like to ride the whole thing from Brest to Nantes in July, 2008.

5. wallabyhunter

wallabyhunter New Member

Hey I ill watch replies with interest. There seems to be a pattern developing here... ... I will be donig the same in reverse, late July. If I ge there 1st I'll post a reply?

gb
    www.letourgb.com

6. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

We've just ridden a small part - Rohan to Josselin and it was basically a tarmac surface and really easy to ride. Further west, near Chateaulin it looked more of a broken surface, and also there, where it follows a river, it really meanders so the road is much more direct - if that matters. We met two couples, both at least partly Australian! who both had the same book on the Canal - sadly I can't remember what it was called.

7. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

You can get a route map for the Nates-Brest Canal from the CTC.

I'm thinking about this for my summer ride this year...

8. trgz

trgz Senior Member

I did a couple of short sections just NW of Redon. The only advice I'd have is I'd planned to do it on my Audax bike but was glad I chose to do it on the MTB. Also, if you're used to road riding, is to keep your bum off the saddle as after 40 miles my ass hurt!