Narrowed down to 2....opinions please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulq

Bike Rider, Beer Drinker, Biscuit Eater.
Will be starting to commute in a couple of weeks - 11 miles each way on road and mainly flat. I want something that's fast, safe and reliable enough whilst looking as inconspicuous as possible whilst locked up at work.

I have narrowed it down to these 2 bikes, both of which looked fantastic in the shop today:

1. Giant Seek 3

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/seek.3/4864/38993/

Disc brakes are an attraction as is the matt paint job which will take more dings than a traditional gloss finish. Lookes very 'Bad Boy' ish albeit with 700c wheels. Alivio gearing puts me off a bit but never had it so may be being unfair - is it decent?

2. Scott Sub 30

http://www.scott-sports.com/gb_en/product/8269/45241/sub_30

Deore kit on it but V brakes rather than discs so quid pro quo in terms of what you get.

Any thoughts anyone? Both are great bikes and the shop was nudging me towards the Giant as being a bit 'different' and understated. Just can't decide whether the cash is best invested in the kit to sacrifice the discs and the finish/stealth look or whether to go for that as opposed to slightly better quality componentry.

Help!

Cheers

Paul

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I want something that's fast, safe and reliable
car

kyuss

Veteran
Is there a reason you are keen on the flat bars? Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you're looking at something for a flat on road commute you might be better off with something with drops.

If you're keen on sticking to flat bars though I reckon the Giant Rapid would be a better bet. Much lighter than the MTB based frames on the 2 you linked to and disk brakes just aren't needed on the road. Something like the Rapid (or the Defy if you can deal with drops) is much lighter and would be better suited to fast road riding.

Norm

kyuss said:
If you're keen on sticking to flat bars though I reckon the Giant Rapid would be a better bet. Much lighter than the MTB based frames on the 2 you linked to and disk brakes just aren't needed on the road. Something like the Rapid (or the Defy if you can deal with drops) is much lighter and would be better suited to fast road riding.
+1 and +1 for the Defy too. I like disk brakes but those two are rigid MTB's rather than road bikes.

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

kyuss said:
Is there a reason you are keen on the flat bars? Nothing wrong with that of course, but if you're looking at something for a flat on road commute you might be better off with something with drops.

There is actually and forgot to mention in my OP. I have a disc problem in my neck which I need to manage carefully so need as upright a riding position as possible. The 2 bikes above felt pretty comfortable to be honest.

kyuss

Veteran
Paulq said:
There is actually and forgot to mention in my OP. I have a disc problem in my neck which I need to manage carefully so need as upright a riding position as possible. The 2 bikes above felt pretty comfortable to be honest.

Ahhh, fair point. In that case, my money would be on the Scott (though I wouldn't write of the Giant Rapid until I'd tried one).

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

That was my initial thought too really as, aesthetically, I think it's easier on the eye. Just concerned about it getting whizzed to be honest.

Is there a discernible difference between Alivio and Deore kit guys?

OP
OP
Paulq

Paulq

LazyLoki said:
Or you could get last years SUB:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/sub-20-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016305

Cheaper and nicer looking in my opinion with hydraulic discs.

That's actually more expensive than the one I looked at today as I managed to get a fair bit knocked off. The only other option I can see is a Kona Smoke which I can get a lot cheaper but nowhere near as nice.

Alivio v Deore? Still not sure how much difference in quality there is?

Noodley

Paulq said:

Mmmmm <strokes chin and wonders>....

I have had dislocated spine/neck and also broken shoulder and broken collar bone...

I ride a standard road bike with drops and also a more 'giving' audax bike...no problems. I only have the more uprightaudax set up for long distances....

Most riding is not on drops but it's good to have :smile:

kyuss

Veteran
Paulq said:
Alivio v Deore? Still not sure how much difference in quality there is?

Enough that you'd notice it. Deore is just a bit better built giving better shifting etc. Will probably be slightly more durable too.

Top Bottom