Nasty evil cheating wind

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I set off for work this morning at 6.00. There was a ferocious head wind which meant my commute took 10 minutes longer, and the extra effort required to battle against the wind meant I also aggravated a back strain pain I've had for the last week or so. This afternoon at 4.45 the wind really picked up, but at least it was going to blow me home, maybe I wouldn't have to pedal at all?

But no, 15 minutes later the wind dropped completely, just as I was about to get on the bike. Spooky. My promise of an 'easy' ride home had vanished and now my back hurts even more. I may have to resort to the motorbike tomorrow. Not happy.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Nasty evil hateful wind indeed (apparently it makes crank arms fall off too !!!!!!)

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/bad-morning.90826/

I may have to resort to the motorbike tomorrow. Not happy.

wash your mouth out with soap^_^ Hope your back is better soon

cycleruk

I hate the wind too. when ever i go out on a windy day it seems to be in a head wind and when ever i change direction i still seem to end up in a head wind, is it me or does nature like playing games with cyclists. You can see it now, nature will be up there :laugh::rofl:

Bman

Guru
I'm sorry.... No. I'm actually happy to report the wind seemed to be in my favour today. :smile: Despite a few gusty sidewinds in the gaps between hedgerows, I seemed to be blown along!

I travelled north in the morning, south in the evening. I dont suppose there is any chance you [the OP] were doing the opposite?

hotfuzzrj

Veteran
Yesterday I went for a joy ride around Birmingham's outer ring road, about 28 miles according to GoogleMaps.
At the start I was heading into wind, I thought at least I'll have it in my favour in a bit....
NO! Nasty wind was *always* heading into me, this was not just imagined as I could see leaves tumbling into my path the whole way round!
Then this morning, I had a tougher commute than normal due to the wind, thought (again) I would have an easier ride home, then come home time the wind had turned "squally" which meant again I was cycling into it for a lot of the journey.
I am going to stop "thinking" things, I think!

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
must admit to it being windy one way and great the other , and it stopped raining for coming home commute so that wa a bonus as on my dry weather commuter !

Hip Priest

Veteran
I was riding along the moor this morning behind another cyclist. He was working hard, but going a little bit slower than I felt I could, so I decided to overtake. Once alongside I realised there was a ferocious headwind and that he'd been shielding me from it. But by that time I could hardly drop back and slot back in behind him so I had to push like hell. I was exhaused by the time I got to work.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
I'm sorry.... No. I'm actually happy to report the wind seemed to be in my favour today.
And one of those rare days for me too. Strong tailwind on the way in this morning (just as well - I had a very big trumpet case acting like a sail on my back), and by the time I came home, it had swung around and pushed me back home (though without the sail this time). And it rained while I was working indoors.

And The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow.... (cue vomit).

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
I was riding along the moor this morning behind another cyclist. He was working hard, but going a little bit slower than I felt I could, so I decided to overtake. Once alongside I realised there was a ferocious headwind and that he'd been shielding me from it. But by that time I could hardly drop back and slot back in behind him so I had to push like hell. I was exhaused by the time I got to work.

Isn't pride a wonderful thing? Better to arrive knackered than admit defeat, I say:ohmy:

Tynan

Veteran
not too bad in Lahden, a fair bit of drops and even some attempts to tuck in in places, gusty on the way back, some fairly severe leaning into the wind at a few side turnings

HovR

Über Member
Had a tail wind on my wait out this morning, which bumped my speed up a noticeable amount. I didn't quite believe it at first when my cycle computer said 27 Mph whilst going along a flat! (I normally hit around 20 here)

Top Bottom