National Express Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

having a semi stripped out half carriage extra to the current train(basically the same as it is now, but less seats) would allow disabled users, push-chair owners and people backpacking or with lots of luggage the space to dump it, there'd be a fair amount of standing room in there too.

don't give me the line about platforms not being long enough, some branch lines were built to take 10+ coaches and a locomotive never mind the london to scotland lines, virgin trains tend to be 5-8 carriages long

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The bike facility on Southern trains local services from London Bridge is an amazing piece of design combining the space for two non folding cycles and an enourmous and generally stinking toilet. This is situated in the last section of a thru carrage by the doors.There are also glass vestibule dividers that mean, unless the train is empty, you have to pull your bike onto the train and then turn 90º on the spot to get the bike to the cycle rack. It's a fuggin nightmare.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Trillian said:
and lots of people would not be comfortable riding in london traffic on a folding bike,

I personally would look at a comment like this as a challenge to improve my bike handling skills, as I would consider myself seriously lacking if I had a problem with it. I'm not sure I understand why this is even a problem, folding bikes are perfect for traffic jamming given their size and manouevrability.

CotterPin

BentMikey said:
I personally would look at a comment like this as a challenge to improve my bike handling skills, as I would consider myself seriously lacking if I had a problem with it. I'm not sure I understand why this is even a problem, folding bikes are perfect for traffic jamming given their size and manouevrability.

I am with Trillian on this. Some people might not want a challenge - all they are trying to do is get to work. :biggrin:

And also, Bromptons and any other folders suitable for taking on peak servces at the moment are really quite expensive - so it just may not be a realistic option for some people. They are basically being excluded from riding part of their journey to work.

domd1979

Veteran
If part of the journey is not walkable, then in most cases the alternative is going to be public transport. Over a couple of years, the money spent on a folder would be recouped over what would have been spent on fares.

In general people doing low paid jobs work closer to home. That would imply (in most cases) those commuting longer distances, involving the train, most probably have a reasonable salary and could afford the 500 notes for a Brompton.

CotterPin said:
And also, Bromptons and any other folders suitable for taking on peak servces at the moment are really quite expensive - so it just may not be a realistic option for some people. They are basically being excluded from riding part of their journey to work.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
CotterPin said:
I am with Trillian on this. Some people might not want a challenge - all they are trying to do is get to work. :biggrin:

I was trying to subtly point out that I don't think riding a folder in traffic is a challenge for most people at all, instead it should be as easy or easier than riding a conventional upright.

Trillian

domd1979 said:
If part of the journey is not walkable, then in most cases the alternative is going to be public transport. Over a couple of years, the money spent on a folder would be recouped over what would have been spent on fares.

In general people doing low paid jobs work closer to home. That would imply (in most cases) those commuting longer distances, involving the train, most probably have a reasonable salary and could afford the 500 notes for a Brompton.

my example may be starting to become a minority in that it is rural A and B roads with a bridal way, something i'm not happy to use a folding bike for.

mikey,

i'm dyspraxic and should not be able to ride a bike without a lot of stress and a lot of effort

i found this out after i'd been riding mountain bikes for quite some time so i've carried on, however it does affect my balance and thus confidence in some situations.

the small wheels and high centre of gravity of a folder make it a hard task for me to ride it confidently in traffic.

domd1979 said:
... How many light rail systems (in the world) are there that allow bikes on the tram? Space is at a premium on trams, I don't see why they should carry non-folding bikes.
Bordeaux for one, off peak, during peak times the space is used for standing.
There are other cities which allow bikes on trams.

Pleasant surprise!

I have been up North touring and came back today from Durham.

Very helpful station staff who made a point of asking which train I was caching and showing me where it would be when it arrived. (Most companies simply don't know) then when the train arrived I was helped on board, allowed to lock the bike to a well designed rail and my bags carried to the Carriage.

At Kings Cross, the guard was waiting with the door open and again helped me off the train.

One of the best journeys I have ever had with a bike!

Top Bottom