National Express Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wont get on a train with a bike if said train is too busy.

There was an incident the other week where the train was almost jam packed as the Chingford Line service was cocked up so I just walked up to the barrier again and the barrier staff said whats wrong and I said the train is too busy for my bike.So I didn't catch it.

I bet im one in a million.

People who take a Brompton or similar onto packed trains take up the space of at least one person squeezed in...seems a bit unfair on other paying commuters to me...

Don't all get upset now... :biggrin:

CotterPin

Luckily I only take trains with my bike out of peak periods so rarely have a problem getting on. I must admit, I resent the solution that people should purchase a Brompton if they want to carry a bike on a busy train.

I imagine that many of the people who would like to travel with their bike to work have already shelled out for an expensive season ticket. To be asked to find another 500 quid for a second bike is a bit rich IMO. And having two cheap bikes isn't really a solution either. Sod's law at some point one of them is going to be pinched.

If this were a truly civilised society then we would have a proper integrated transport policy where bikes could be carried on trains even in the peak period. But then in a truly civilised society we wouldn't find ourselves squashed into the gutter or into substandard cycle tracks.

domd1979

Veteran
How many bikes should be carried on a train? It would still only benefit a small proportion of passengers, at some considerable cost.

CotterPin said:
If this were a truly civilised society then we would have a proper integrated transport policy where bikes could be carried on trains even in the peak period.

domd1979

Veteran
In fairness, how many people would actually cycle 30 mins from their destination station to work, even if there were no restrictions on bicycle carriage?

The biggest potential (especially as things are at the moment) for getting more combined bike/rail journeys is where the bicycle is used for the journey to the station. It would seem sensible (and in the short term much more achievable) to invest in more decent cycle parking facilities at stations.

Trillian said:
yes, and then you get people in the same situation as me, 8 min walk to the station

30 mins bike ride from the station to my final destination.

so, for people like me (and i don't believe that i'm an exception) having the bike on the train is needed.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Aperitif said:
People who take a Brompton or similar onto packed trains take up the space of at least one person squeezed in...seems a bit unfair on other paying commuters to me...

Don't all get upset now... :ohmy:

Well, my local trains have a triangular space where two seats butt up to each other that's perfect for a brommie. 2 of these per coach. Brommies also fit on luggage racks.
Of course, if you want to get in the rack, don't let me stop you.:biggrin:

Trillian

domd1979 said:
In fairness, how many people would actually cycle 30 mins from their destination station to work, even if there were no restrictions on bicycle carriage?

The biggest potential (especially as things are at the moment) for getting more combined bike/rail journeys is where the bicycle is used for the journey to the station. It would seem sensible (and in the short term much more achievable) to invest in more decent cycle parking facilities at stations.

you have avoided the issue.

i live very near the station, my main commute is at the other end
i can not believe that i am the only person

for example, from my station you can commute to london - i'm sure many people arrive at Euston and then get onto the tube to cross london who may consider doing so by bike if they could bring it home with them on a night.
(I don't go into london)

domd1979

Veteran
Lots of people do - with a folding bike.

Trillian said:
for example, from my station you can commute to london - i'm sure many people arrive at Euston and then get onto the tube to cross london who may consider doing so by bike if they could bring it home with them on a night.
(I don't go into london)

Trillian

domd1979 said:
Lots of people do - with a folding bike.

and lots of people would not be comfortable riding in london traffic on a folding bike,

i for one can not cope with handle bars that narrow.

you are still avoiding the issue that there are people who get to the station at the other end of their trip and then have a 10 mile semi rural commute, possibly with a bridalway and hence not much suited to a brompton.

historyman

In Merseyside I commute 1 mile to a station to catch a 11-minute train to Lime St. and then ride 1 mile steeply uphill to the University. If I go at rush hour I can take the Brompton (and squeeze it between the back-to-back seats in the manner described by TheDoctor above). I have an easy time on the train but hard uphill! But most days I take my city bike on the 9.33 (qualifying for cheaper fare), there is a rack for me to put it in, sometimes mums or old folk are in the space but i don't mind as the ride is short.

domd1979

Veteran
In fairness how many people cycle 10 miles from their destination station to work, or would be prepared to? It must be a pretty minuscule percentage of rail commuters or potential rail commuters.

Trillian said:
you are still avoiding the issue that there are people who get to the station at the other end of their trip and then have a 10 mile semi rural commute, possibly with a bridalway and hence not much suited to a brompton.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
domd1979 said:
In fairness how many people cycle 10 miles from their destination station to work, or would be prepared to? It must be a pretty minuscule percentage of rail commuters or potential rail commuters.

So in point it would cost the rail company little in thought or funds in order to accomodate said cyclists?

domd1979

Veteran
If it can be accommodated within existing provision on the train, then it wouldn't cost them anything. Otherwise, there is a very real (and considerable) cost to expanding capacity for cycle provision on trains.

tdr1nka said:
So in point it would cost the rail company little in thought or funds in order to accomodate said cyclists?

Top Bottom