National Speed Awareness Course.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
Has anyone else on here been on one of these? I'm interested in your thoughts and experiences.
Especially the attitudes regarding cyclists.

Sharky

Guru
Unfortunately I've attended one. The topic of cyclists didn't really come up apart from my own comments in response to a direct question to me, as I'd made it known that I was a cyclist.

Big John

Guru
I've attended two ☹️. Both courses were excellent although I wouldn't sign up for one through choice. Now you don't even have to drive there to attend....my last one was done on Zoom and that wasn't long ago. Cycling came up briefly but only because a couple of us were cyclists.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
SWMBO's done a couple and she's about to do a 'modern motorway awareness course' after going through a red X on the motorway last week. The speed awareness course doesn't seem to help her as she appears to be on first-name terms with the speed camera operator, given how regular the letters from them are :blink:

I've done a driver awareness course about 13 years ago after being hit by an insurance scammer - don't ask! However, I did find that useful as I'd picked up a few bad habits. It was before I was back riding but can't remember cycling being covered back then.

OP
OP
Ratchet Cat

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
The reason I ask is I did one yesterday on Zoom. The course leader didn't like cyclists and said he thought we should all be insured and wearing helmets.
I didn't argue. However he will be getting some feedback from me. The roads are for everyone, not just motorists!
I made the point that we are all pedestrians when we get out of our cars.
I've cycled for more years than I've been a motorist. I used to ride horses on the road. I used to be a motorcyclist too.

I learned some useful stuff, as the highway code has changed quite a bit since I passed my driving test nearly 30 years ago.
I don't deny I was at fault. I'm not sure some of the points sank in with others on the course.

The reason I ask is I did one yesterday on Zoom. The course leader didn't like cyclists and said he thought we should all be insured and wearing helmets.
I didn't argue. However he will be getting some feedback from me. The roads are for everyone, not just motorists!
I made the point that we are all pedestrians when we get out of our cars.
I've cycled for more years than I've been a motorist. I used to ride horses on the road. I used to be a motorcyclist too.

I learned some useful stuff, as the highway code has changed quite a bit since I passed my driving test nearly 30 years ago.
I don't deny I was at fault. I'm not sure some of the points sank in with others on the course.

I would have asked if they thought pedestrians should too, as most arguments offered advocating those for cyclists, fit at least as well if not better to pedestrians, which shows the (dangerous) nonsense of their words.

OP
OP
Ratchet Cat

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
Absolutely. This caused me to roll my eyes, especially as the course leader was from Yorkshire, a fine cycling county.
I couldn't argue as we all ended up talking over each other. This is why they will be getting some feedback! 😃

13 rider

Guru
Yes I been on one and cycled to it :whistle: . The road tax and red light jumping of cyclists came up from the participants, I did point out that not all motorist follow the rules of the road and my have to attend a course when their court breaking the rules . I was surprised I was the only one who knew what SMIDSY was

gbb

Legendary Member
I did one maybe 10 or so years ago, 33 in a 30 iirc.
It was ok, neither oppressive, overbearing nor lighthearted, just quite professionally done i thought, perhaps its a lottery depending on the attitude of the person running the course.
No mention of cyclists in mine, more the impact speed has, its consequences and how they multiply as the speed does, signage etc.

It cost about the same as a court fine but it saves on insurance hikes.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I've been on one, after being flashed doing 33 in a 30. I was the only person there who didn't drive there (I walked), the only one who knew all the speed limits on different roads and also the only one that knew you could overtake on double white lines to pass a vehicle travelling 10mph or less. Most of the other 15 or so people in the room drove every day as part of their jobs and didn't know the most basic things they should have remembered from their driving tests.

I did learn a few useful things though, but I didn't bring up cycling at any point.

Top Bottom