National statistics - fatal accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
According to this, 136 cyclists died in accidents last year compared with 645 pedestrians and 1305 car occupants. Yet you never hear any call for pedestrians and car occupants to wear helmets.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would have thought that the actual number of people who walk the streets and use cars far exceed the number of cyclists, as such I would believe that the percentages of cyclists seriously hurt or injured would be higher than that for either pedestrians or motorists.

Norm

I would have thought that the actual number of people who walk the streets and use cars far exceed the number of cyclists, as such I would believe that the percentages of cyclists seriously hurt or injured would be higher than that for either pedestrians or motorists.
Whilst the point about car users is correct, pedestrians don't travel very far, so the stats for cyclists and peds are relatively similar.

Luddite Joe

Über Member
According to this, 136 cyclists died in accidents last year compared with 645 pedestrians and 1305 car occupants. Yet you never hear any call for pedestrians and car occupants to wear helmets.

• Apart from the fact that you're quoting 2007's figures and there's no mention of head injuries, you make some very interesting points.:thumbsup:

Davidc

Guru
There are figures (DfT I think) published based on distance travelled.

Trouble is that the types of accidents are different for different road users so superficial comparisons don't really mean too much.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
  • Apart from the fact that you're quoting 2007's figures and there's no mention of head injuries, you make some very interesting points.:thumbsup:

Correct, in 2011 365 pedestrians, 679 car occupants and 98 cyclists were killed in traffic accidents. It does not mention head injuries. I don't know but imagine many of the deaths of car occupants were caused by head injuries. These figures are not quoted per distance travelled, just as totals. It is part of the database drawn up the National Office of Statistics rather than the DfT.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There's also a confounding problem where a pedestrian who suffers an injury is not classed as a traffic accident unless another vehicle is involved. Whereas a cyclist who falls off with no-one else involved is recorded as a traffic accident, no matter what the circumstances (i.e. even an offroad MTBer will be classed as a traffic accident I think).

Licramite

Über Member
trouble is , if we reduce the number of pedestrians that get killed and reduced the number of car deaths , it will look bad for cyclists, - I think as cyclists we should encourage the death rate amongst car users and pedestrians and we will look so much safer. !

so next time your out on your bike - push a pedestrian under a car

benb

Evidence based cyclist
trouble is , if we reduce the number of pedestrians that get killed and reduced the number of car deaths , it will look bad for cyclists, - I think as cyclists we should encourage the death rate amongst car users and pedestrians and we will look so much safer. !

so next time your out on your bike - push a pedestrian under a car

I think you might be on to something

tadpole

No it doesn't, it shows that last year 98 cyclists died in accidents last year compared with 365 pedestrians and 679 car occupants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom