Naughty vicar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:cry:were was the spoiler alert , i will never be quite the same now

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
We have an "on the cusp" (8 yrs) in this house and a "no idea what the fuss is about" (3 yrs) , The on the cusp was told when he said I think Santa is not real, this

"If you do not believe he does not come and bring you a present, if you want to take the chance and miss out because you don't believe that is your choice" He rapidly decided he believed.

For me it is not up to someone else to tell my children what is and what is not true when it comes to magic and mystery and imagination, children these days have too much whimsy taken from their lives as it is, let them have some whimsy whilst they are still small, they grow up too quickly.

Blue

Legendary Member
I agree with Puddles - breaking the news should be left to the parents. The age of innocence should be protected.

Davidc

Guru
[QUOTE 2818297, member: 259"]Beat me to it - I was thinking along the lines of glass houses. :thumbsup:[/quote]
If the assembly included children up to age 11 he's lucky none of them pointed it out!

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't get why the children were so upset.
My children believe in Santa/Father Christmas/St Nick -and more recently kris Kringle thanks to a few american films.
I've told them the term Santa Claus comes from the legend of St Nicholas.
They watch a myriad of films each with a different twist on Santa. Their belief in the man in red does not falter - even though I've told them he's only dressed in red because of coca cola!
Maybe I just have very flexible children -or easily manipulated - but in my experience children can believe very conflicting things even when faced with hard facts to the contrary.
Since when did children even listen to the vicar at school anyway?!

Dan B

Disengaged member
"It's the older children who have suffered the most because their parents can't really talk their way out of it like the parents of younger children can.
Magic and mystery and whimsy notwithstanding, if I was that age and my parents had tried covering up for having lied to me for the past nine years, I'd be more upset than if they came clean.

As it was, I suspected out the non-existence of Santa when I was about 4 years old (two completely different people came to each of the playgroups I attnded at the time and both claimed to be him) and my parents, to whom I am very grateful, confirmed my hypothesis when I asked them.

You have to recognise kid's beliefs

I have a large greying bushy beard, and was in Fareham wearing a red fleece.

Small child with parents looked at me quizzically and turned to parent stating "Look it's Father Christmas"

Do I ruin his naivety?

My response was to pt a finger to my lips and say "Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but I am doing last minute shopping in disguise!"

Kid was delighted and parents were quite happy .

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Somewhere in a Nativity Play near you, another innkeeper will say proudly, "Yes, come in love, we've got loads of room in 'ere. By 'eck lass, you look cold, come and sit by t'fire.".... and the end angel will fall off the bench taking the 2nd sheep with her.

Top Bottom